Sign in to follow this  
Strangelove

SLIing High end Cards and having PSU issues?

So I am sending back this damn Silverstone Strider but am a bit worried. So far I have seen several posts around the net that says the OCZ600W is having issues with 7800 512s in SLI due to current draw on the rail.

The only other viable choice seems like a PCP&C 510W PSU for like $239.00 -ASL version with EPS.

Is anyone else running a high end rig with a power supply that seems ok so far?

Guest taG

I think that the PCP&C peaks out at 810w. I think that would be enough as the OCZ powerstream 600w peaks at 700w? or a little above. If you really wanna be safe go with the PCP&C 850W :P. Already spent over 1k on your graphic cards. Peaks at over 1 kilowatt (1000 watts) :shake:

Strangelove, if you are running all that gear on a DFI board, you will need a BARE MINIMUM of 650W of power. 510W just is not enough to run an Opteron, two 7800GTXs and a DFI mainboard. If I were you, I would be looking at a 700-750W PSU. Seriously.

I have 680w power supply and I'm having serious power issues with a BFG-Tech 6800GT OC. I get low power warnings, crashes, and freezeups. It's driving me bananas, and I really wish someone woould give a simple straight answer.

It baffles me that a higher end powersupply can fix the problem; Am I restricted by the PSU or by my wall current?

Thast a bit overkill for what I am trying to do...the 850W PCP&C

But I do think I am going to order the 510W version.

After fighting, with my rig and the PSU for about a week, I finally broke down and started doing some more homework. There are not to many people using the 512's in SLI yet, too expensive and too hard to obtain two of them and they require a lot of power.

The only PSU that had a sufficent 12Volt to power my rig was the PC power & cooling 850. Now I realize that my water cooling is also on the 12volt rail along with 4 120 mm fans and I could have installed a second cheapear PSU just for the cooling but that would have left me with vey little overhead for overclocking. Most of the the other SLI rated PSU's do not have a sufficent rating across their 12 volt rails for 2 512's. Their overall rating is high enough, but the individual ratings on each rail would not accomadate my 12 volt load without some creative wiring.

Anyway after dropping 1.5K on graphics cards. I bit the bullet and dropped 500 on a PSU that will not only handle my current demands, but also give me a lot of room for growth.

The 850 is massive and I had to modify my case to accomadate it, but all said and done this rig Screams In SLI and the quailty of the graphics in FEAR and Quake 4 is outstanding. It's nice to have all your game settings at max and your graphics doesn't even hesitate.

Moderate overclocking untill the BIOS gets fixed and I get my water block for the GPU's

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1557585

I think that the PCP&C peaks out at 810w. I think that would be enough as the OCZ powerstream 600w peaks at 700w? or a little above. If you really wanna be safe go with the PCP&C 850W :P. Already spent over 1k on your graphic cards. Peaks at over 1 kilowatt (1000 watts) :shake:

The PC P&C 510 ASL actually peaks, (as per their website), at 650W.

And the PC P&C 850 SSI, (as per thier website), peaks at 950W.

They do have a 1 KW version, (as per thier website), that peaks at 1100W *1.1KW* .

Just an FYI.

Since you didn't state what power your current PSU has, I would assume it's the 460W version, with dual 12 v Rails. Those rails provide 14 amps and 15 amps respectively.

The PC P&C 510 ASL provides 34 amps from a single 12 volt rail. You'll be upping your current draw capability by 5 amps.

Or, the PC P&C 850 SSI, It has 3 12v Rails. Powered, 16 amps, 16 amps, and 30 amps, but when used in combination, only can output 60 amps. Continously...

Which basically doubles your current draw capabilities.