3700+ mobile to work in my 754 desktop board?

Rite now on Newegg, I see the mobile 3700 is much cheaper than the OEM Desktop version. I was hoping to get one with my christmas money. I was wondering if you guys would know wheter or not a mobile processor would be recognized by my Desktop motherboard. Also, will the heat be lower than a desktop or higher? I see that the mobile has no silver lid, so will my HSF work also?

I was wondering if it was able to run without the HSF though.

Damn, I didn't know newegg stocked the newark core CPU's. That's nice to know, as I wasn't overly pleased when I recieved my 3700+ Newark from shentech with 2 bent pins... They wraped the Newark between to hard sponges with a rubber band around it. Very shabby if you ask me... Atleast newegg will give you a proper pin-protecting case for OEM CPU's.

BTW, it's my opinion that the Newark Core CPU's are the best processor's available for the Socket 754. True mobile Turions don't seem to clock as well, but they seem nice as well.

• 2 years later...

I know this is well out of date, but I would like to know if you gyus can offer me some help?

My daughter hasa DFI LP250GB ( NF3 )

I have been running a Newcastle 3000 @ 2.4 for 2 years no problems and the other day I got hold of a 3700 Mobile but it wont go anything different to 800MHZ?

Im kind of stuck

Anything to help would be fantastic as I have a sneaky that the CPU is broken somehow ???

Thanking you - in hope!!!??

I remember some posts around with the same issue a few years ago, if you search you should find the proper answer.

As a general troubleshoot, use the latest 23/6/05 bios, disable cnq, manually set voltage and both multipliers (htt,cpu). This board was never good with auto settings.

I know this is well out of date, but I would like to know if you gyus can offer me some help?

My daughter hasa DFI LP250GB ( NF3 )

I have been running a Newcastle 3000 @ 2.4 for 2 years no problems and the other day I got hold of a 3700 Mobile but it wont go anything different to 800MHZ?

Im kind of stuck

Anything to help would be fantastic as I have a sneaky that the CPU is broken somehow ???

Thanking you - in hope!!!??

As Ghost said, use the latest official bios 6/23/05. You'll have to manually set your vCore and Multiplier to get the most out of your chip.

Enter the Bios and set the vCore to 1.35v (That's the default vCore for the Newark Chips), then set your CPU multiplier to as high as it will go (I believe the 3700 is 12x). Keep the Special CPU VID @ Auto for the time being. HTT Multiplier should be set to 4x.

Hopefully that'll help you boot that puppy up at full speed.

You'll more than likely have to set DRAM timings yourself as well. That'll probably take a while to get fine tuned, but start with conservative timings and then tighten from there.