NF4 Expert not installing Windows

Guest JustinSane_merged

Make sure that you have a master H/D set Via the pins on the back of the drive, i had the same problem, You can NOT use cable select and must set a master.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JustinSane

I am using 1 hard drive plugged into SATA 1. It shows in my bios as plugged into SATA 1. My windows disc does not have service pack 2. I think I have one around here with SP2 that I can try though. Looking for it now.

Guest JustinSane

If my DVD/CD rom is booting from IDE and my hard drive is plugged into SATA 1, should they both be set as masters?

Guest DEViANCE

should not matter , as long as your DVD/CDROM drive is not pluged to a ASCI card like promise or watever to install windows that wont work , but if it is IDE dosent mater if it is master or not.. have u tought that maby ur cdrom is defective not reading peoperly? maby ur cd is screwed , i hade a few windows xp laying around everywhere here scratched and never could install them so i trew them out..

Sata hard drives typically do not have master/slave jumpers, since they can no longer share cables. That advice would be useful if JustinSane was using an IDE hard drive, but he is using a SATA hard drive.

So the answer to the jumper question is that it does not apply to sata hard drives. Your boot order in the bios is what controls what XP boots from. Check that section and ensure you have it set to the hard drive. It is also entirely possible that something happened physically to your hard drive, or maybe the boot.ini file for your XP install has been corrupted somehow.

Shawn

or maybe the boot.ini file for your XP install has been corrupted somehow.

say for instance

" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: /system32.hal.dll"

i've been dealing with this one all morning :sweat: :drool: :confused: :drool: :sweat:

had to drop the drive from the new install into this pc and replace it, since i own 2 floppies, one floppy drive and three computers...PITA changing that drive and putting the cable in every friggin time

Guest JustinSane

I plugged in a different SATA cable and used a different SATA port on the board and im trying that right now. Hopefully that fixes it. I am still using the Windows XP disc without SP2. Is it absolutely necessary to use a disc with SP2 built in?

I plugged in a different SATA cable and used a different SATA port on the board and im trying that right now. Hopefully that fixes it. I am still using the Windows XP disc without SP2. Is it absolutely necessary to use a disc with SP2 built in?

Yes. Otherwise, your SATA drives won't be partitioned correctly with the right amount of space, among other things.

Guest JustinSane

After trying a diff cable I still got the same message. I went in and did the chkdsk /p thing and it says -

CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume.

244187968 kilobytes total disk space.

244061040 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

61046992 total allocation units on disk.

61015260 allocation units available on disk.

Gonna make a sp2 disk now. Thats probably the problem?