Sign in to follow this  
Kasher_Khan

3.0Ghz! Does this count?

If you can play BF2 for a couple of hours without crashing you are pretty much guaranteed Prime stability..

I agree with BF2 and Farcry for me ,my weaknesses show up pretty fast, in real time I might add and while I'm enjoying myself.After 16 years with computers, I have developed alot of patience. Once you start to recognize some of the quirks and with the help of these Forums most of the problems will have an answer to them. Pretty soon the paterns start to develope.

Id definatly Go with getting Super PI32 Mb stable first. I had my CABNE 0545 at 2.9Ghz fine in prime for about 2omin then i stoped it and tryed Super PI and it crashed in about 3minutes.

Now i always Super PI 32meg before id even consider running prime over night. It take around 30min or more. then u can leave you rig on Prime with it having a good chance of passing. :tooth:

OK! After a pretty sleepless night (not really I ended up sleeping till 3:00pm) I reachde prime95 stability (5hrs not 8) with the following settings:

2.8GHZ OC at 1.425 X11% = 1.567V

HTT at 255Mhz

Mobo at LDT ratio 4x

Memory at 5/6 divider = 212Mhz 3-4-4-8 2T at 2.8V

EVGA 7800GT CO 470/1100 at 499/1160Mhz 45C idle 65C load

Now for the questions... At the current HTT of 255 I can't select 9/10 divider to get RAM speed to 230MHZ. CHoosing the 9/10 divider sets speed at 215Mhz. I don't know how that is possible unless I am missing something...

My memory would do a max of 260MHZ. So I am thinkning half of that at 230MHz or so should be ideal in my setup but can't get it there. Choosing voltage higher than 2.8V causes my system to not post. On that note, is there a way to revert to older Bios settings without having to reset the CMOS jumper and taking apart my case and HDD cage!

My 3D mark 05 score is at 7601 with current settings? For people who are getting 8000+ scores with similar setups, please tell me where I am at fault.

Also one last thing. My PWMIC temps peaked at almost 58C while running prime. Now my room was bit hot last night... but what temps should I hit before I should considering killing the tests? I know under 60C is considered ok....

Since my last post I figured out that the jumper settings on the Mobo was limiting my ability to OC beyonf 2.8V. I can run 3.0V just fine for memory now. ( I was under the impression it was volts greater than 3 that the jumper locked!)

Also I mentioned this above but I sometimes get different 3Dmark 05 scores for the same settings. Meaning I can run it the first time and get for example a score of 7500 and run it again as soon as the test finnishes to get 7450? Is this normal???

So any comments on why I am not able to select a 9/10 divider for HTT speed at 255?

Meaning a 9/10 should bring the memory speed close to 230MHz but mine goes to 215MHZ.

What multiplier are you using on your cpu? Using 1/2 multi's on the cpu can cause this..

Also, my results usually vary by more than 50 (out of a score around 7000) so this is fine.

What multiplier are you using on your cpu? Using 1/2 multi's on the cpu can cause this..

Also, my results usually vary by more than 50 (out of a score around 7000) so this is fine.

I am using default 11X multiplier. Also I am now averaging 7660 on 3Dmark with no CPU memory OCing but instead Ocing my 7800GT CO from 470/1100 to 480/1200.

I lowered my mem timmings to 2.5-3-3-6 from 3-3-3-7(auto) at 1T.

I am far more impresed with the results produced my GPU ocing. A minot OC in that department got me quite ahead. Where as even 800Mhz on the CPU side have yielded little benchmark performance.(Real life performance is what I would like to see... but I really can't tell the difference... and the lower CPU clocks are more stable for now)

I am not sure if this helps though. I tried to backwards OC from 2.8 and 3.0. Now I am going to try to go from stable 2.2 and see how far I can go maitaining stability.

After going through angry's post... I see little sense in trying to fiddle with timmings and what not. For those who claimed to have been getting 8000+ scores in 3D mark. What are you doing differently?

i dont have an opty but i what i do know, is that scores in 3d mark are graphics card driver related, look for those approved 3d mark drivers and i think there are some optimized 3d mark drivers floating ard the web

i dont have an opty but i what i do know, is that scores in 3d mark are graphics card driver related, look for those approved 3d mark drivers and i think there are some optimized 3d mark drivers floating ard the web

Optmized 3D mark drivers? you mean the latest drivers or drivers speacifically written to improve scores. Like I said I am not interested in OCing to reach higher and higher no.'s for the sake of braggin rights (not that I think there is anything wrong with that! I just happen to hang out with the kind of company that buys the $300 E-Machines at Bestbuy with a celeron cause it comes with a free printer lolz.. NO point in telling those idiots what my scores mean...)

So I trying to get what ever real boost I can get out of my current machine. Mainly cause I don't have that many games to play and no point in having a powerful machine if I don't mess around with it :)

NOTE: Still looking forward to some advice on tunning my setup further....

these Futuremark "optimized" drivers are as u said , they are only for bragging rights,

so stick with watever driver that gives the best perfomance for your most played games.

or if u are like me, do not give a damm about your system until it stops giving u optimal framerates in games (judging by your sys specs and using my criteria for games playability id say u would have 2 years b4 u reach that stage)

but then again whats your criteria 4 playability???

its like the nofx punk song lyric

Whats your definition of Freedom!

3dmark05 is very gpu dependant, that's why you see a major increase when oc'ing your gpu. You will also get a boost in the numbers from oc'ing your cpu, but more importantly, with your cpu oc'ed, it will help in actual game play (and everything else), not just the benchmarks. Now if you ran 3dmark01, which is more cpu dependant, then you would probably see the opposite happen...that is see more of an increase from cpu oc'ing rather than gpu oc'ing. Just oc everything to it's max stable!