Nf4 SLI-DR - Take a look at my first build

Guest Biohazard_merged

Guest Biohazard

Hello to everyone, I've been lurking around for a while and thought I'd try to get some feedback on my first build before I start purchasing all the parts. I’m upgrading from a dying HP laptop, so this rig should be a ton of fun with CS:S

Anyway, here it is:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) (will be 2GB in time)

eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N517-AX Video Card (will SLI when I get back to school)

WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD (planning on 1 now and 1 when this gets full)

Antec Performance I P180 Silver Computer Case

SeaSonic S12-600 600W Power Supply (overkill?)

MITSUMI Black 8 in 1 Floppy Drive (necessary?)

NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner

I don’t plan on doing any overclocking right away, but I see it as a definite possibility in the coming months.

Since this is my first ever build, my specific questions are:

1. Should I buy both gfx cards now for SLI or can I wait about a month before buying the second?

2. Should I get a separate drive for the OS to boot from?

3. If I plan on doing a RAID 0 setup in the future (2x WD 250GB) , what should I keep in mind now and when I actually do it.

4. Is the RAM I’ve chosen going to be suitable (gaming/future OC)?

5. Is there any part of this build that you would change (for a similar or cheaper price) or any part that makes you go WTF?

Thanks a lot to everyone, you've already helped me a ton.

600watts is overkill! you should look into an OCZ psus or any of the ones listed here: psus guide

you should really look into 2GB of ram for gaming... forget about the other 7800gt now .. take it easy for your first build :)

get a fan controller, it would look sweet on the P180!! the floppy+aio panel would be nice too...you will always need a floppy drive for the setting up your raid later on... i got the Coolermaster Aerogate II for my P160WF (waiting for it to come in)