Sign in to follow this  
encl0sed

nVidia vs Marvel Lan?

on the sli dr board, would using the nVidia lan cause higher cpu utilization versus the Marvel lan?
Im deciding which one to use for my online gaming use.

Edited by carlo_bednarek

i've noticed a difference with the marbel over the nvidia in terms of CPU useage... so i prefer the marvel. i haven't don't directly benchmarks of one over the other. but i'm 95% certain the nvidia card uses more cpu.

The nvidia one is suppose to be better.

Its inside the chipset and not on the PCI BUS.

CPU usage should be lower with it too.

• Like 1

you sure about that? hm... interesting. i heard about the better preformance stuff but thought that it was only noticable over gigabit due to it being more like a PCIE lan card cause its onboard and intergrated with the chipset.

i guess i could be wrong.. i never ran any benchmarks... however are you sure the cpu usage is down and not up over the marvel?!?

i would think the marvell would use less cpu usage since its not part of the chipset...hmm

That is exactly why marvell uses moreCPU (in theory, no real life measurements made by me).

nVidia lan uses less CPU because chipset does the job, while in marvell CPU does some of the job.

As said earlier, sometimes things doesn't go "as planned" and nVidia lan uses more CPU than Marvell, but that might be another driver issue or so. I have learned that this stuff just varies from person to person (similar issues with nForce2)

Guest Crusader

Using the NVidia one without problems and if you want you can choose to optimize it for CPU - or Throughput usage (under Advanced configuration of the NVidia NForce Networking controller).