Sign in to follow this  
mihapodb

Windows XP Tweak Guide (video) *update 6/28/2006*

I will then be making an NF4 Expert how-to build guide

Hope it comes soon, my expert comes tomorrow lol. Going to try this board with my 3500+ (newcastle) and 2GB Ballistix.

as for the vid, d/l as i type :)

Thanks for the vid - will have to watch through the whole thing when I have time. :) I am also interested in the Expert Guide, as I just got mine in. I am waiting for my Thermalright SI-120 to come in before I start my build.

YAY DFI!

Thanks for that video Angry :) Cant wait to go disable all those nasty services on my new build. I just need Newegg to hurry up and send my ram so I can build my new rig.

Nice vid & music, thanks. I have a question about the page file section. So I should put none on c:(were windows is installed) and 1024 on all the remaining partitions??

Why is that?

thanks

ok everyone some updates

first, I am sicker than sick with what I call the bird flu (cuz i'm so damn sick it must be the bird flu) and I am only able to sit up for about 5 minutes at a time then I have to lay back down...so I'll be out a few more days I think

second, my host upped my bandwidth limits this month which is good, so small vids can be hosted at angrygames.com but the big vids will still be ran via bittorrent (because as a community, you guys should have no problem sharing with others, and if you do, then thats all you, not me as I have done my part in sharing)

third, I got a replacement firewire cable for the DV cam and will be redoing the entire RDX200 build then moving on to the Expert. This will probably take me some time so be patient please.

this 'tweak' video in this post is good for all platforms as far as I am concerned...I use it on both Intel and AMD rigs and only slight variations depending on services needed.

What software did you use throughout the video? Also, I tweaked my layout to be a bit more efficient. If you're interested, here's how it works:

Main taskbar on right side. This allows all your tasks to be lined up more efficiently. Think of the difference between an electronics rack, and just lining all your electronics up on a table. The rack is more space efficient. In this taskbar I also have several menus at the bottom: one which goes to "My Documents" (which is really my secondary HDD), one for my favorites (which I don't use since I switched to firefox but still occasionally useful), one goes to My Computer, and one to my Apache Server.

The Quick Launch icons are in a bar on the bottom. Above them is a Desktop toolbar which I never use, and the Address Bar. Here is an example (I originally took that pic for something else and never deleted it, so just ignore the MySpace errors I'd highlighted and all that :nod: ).

What software did you use throughout the video?

Camtasia Studio for capturing desktop stuff

Also, I tweaked my layout to be a bit more efficient. If you're interested, here's how it works:

everyone has their favorite way of doing it. The point of my tweaking was to let users know that most services that they think they need are not needed at all.

Taskbar and windows layouts are what I term 'to each his own' and there's no real 'tweaking' of such...as how you lay it out is good for you, but not for others, while disabling certain services and turning off unecessary effects is a 'tweak' that does help system performance.

Angry_Games:

During the video while you were installing the Nvidia System Drivers, I noticed you unchecked the GART driver & IDE driver. Why is that??

Thanks! :)

because in a PCI-Expressed based system, there is no need for a GART driver since it ONLY affect AGP bus (and there's no AGP bus in a PCI-E system...)

as for IDE driver...i've not found it necessary at all unless running RAID (and really only RAID-1 for rebuilding an array as RAID-0...if it gets hosed...you've lost everything). IDE driver also can cause many conflicts, bsod's, freezes, as well as stop your cd/dvd writer from performing properly.

it is one of those things that you say 'well, I either really need it or i don't, and if i don't, then why bother putting it on if it just causes problems for most people?'

;)

because in a PCI-Expressed based system, there is no need for a GART driver since it ONLY affect AGP bus (and there's no AGP bus in a PCI-E system...)

as for IDE driver...i've not found it necessary at all unless running RAID (and really only RAID-1 for rebuilding an array as RAID-0...if it gets hosed...you've lost everything). IDE driver also can cause many conflicts, bsod's, freezes, as well as stop your cd/dvd writer from performing properly.

it is one of those things that you say 'well, I either really need it or i don't, and if i don't, then why bother putting it on if it just causes problems for most people?'

;)

Ah, that makes sense. I now vaguely remember reading something about GART having something to do with AGP video cards a loooong time ago. Have you noticed any speed differences with the IDE driver vs Windows built-in one?

Thanks for taking the time to make the video and replying to us peeps!! :D

Have you noticed any speed differences with the IDE driver vs Windows built-in one?

nope

no differences that I can see

keep in mind I have not directly tested this...so maybe that is something for me to do in the near future is test both Raptore 36GB RAID drives and single drives as well as 80GB Hitachi SATA II drives in RAID and single just to see

but I seriously doubt there's a difference...the only reason i use the IDE driver is mainly for RAID tracking and rebuilding of arrays...and like I said, thats pretty useless when using RAID-0 since one drive goes...everything goes and there's no rebuilding =(

I remember watching this video before? downloaded via torrent....

If it's any constilation I like this way better...I downloaded it thru filefront as per link and played thry media player..... Just easier....Still a darn good vid....good work..

Hope ya feel better soon...angry....

Better to stop sniffen those birdies....;) never know what you'll catch