Windows XP Tweak Guide (video) *update 6/28/2006*

mihapodb

its doubtful that no pagefile would cause any prime failure, because I've seen prime eat up pagefile use when it was set to use more memory than the machine had (usually an accident on the tester's part).

but

it MIGHT be why your prime failed...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its doubtful that no pagefile would cause any prime failure, because I've seen prime eat up pagefile use when it was set to use more memory than the machine had (usually an accident on the tester's part).

but

ahh, i see... well all i know is i changed it, and it fixed it... prime ran for 16 hours, no errors and im happy! thanks for the help!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Angry. My first post here. Thanks for the guide.

I read a few posts about people complaining about it not being in text format so I got bored at work and made a word document explaining the entire process. I actually enjoyed making it. If you want me to send it to you just let me know so you can post it in your first post.

• 3 weeks later...
as for IDE driver...i've not found it necessary at all unless running RAID

it is one of those things that you say 'well, I either really need it or i don't, and if i don't, then why bother putting it on if it just causes problems for most people?'

;)

Ummm..... if I've already installed the nvidia IDE driver then can I just uninstall it from device manager and hope the mickeysoft ide drivers get re-installed on reboot ???

Love the forum Angry - Best I've come across

Cheers

Gav

but

Angry_Games I am almost certain that running with no page file is a really bad idea because windows really needs to have it as it will use the page file as a storage of what will or may or could need to be loaded into the ram next.....Not running a page file will not shut the OS down but a program like Prime 95 would more than probably find issue with it as there are more than probably error type scenarios happening that you would never really notice in windows but again Prime95 would catch them pretty fast.If i have to I could probably dig out the link about it from microsoft.com ......

Angry_Games I am almost certain that running with no page file is a really bad idea because windows really needs to have it as it will use the page file as a storage of what will or may or could need to be loaded into the ram next.....Not running a page file will not shut the OS down but a program like Prime 95 would more than probably find issue with it as there are more than probably error type scenarios happening that you would never really notice in windows but again Prime95 would catch them pretty fast.If i have to I could probably dig out the link about it from microsoft.com ......

I've run without a pagefile as have many many other 'power users' that claim they didn't need one since they had 2GB or 4GB or 16GB of RAM etc

I never felt safe without some pagefile...but I never experienced any problems when not having a pagefile either.

I've run without a pagefile as have many many other 'power users' that claim they didn't need one since they had 2GB or 4GB or 16GB of RAM etc

I never felt safe without some pagefile...but I never experienced any problems when not having a pagefile either.

I am having trouble finding the original Microsoft's article which I was referring to but id did find this one ,but it doesn't really get into the why aspect here is link >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417/ and here is a quote that supports my statement a bit>>>>>>>>>>

• To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

• For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.

• To delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file

We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file

Since when did Microsoft know best how to use their own products?

In any case I always set a 10GB pagefile on a seperate partition, I have more than enough space so I figured why not.

Since when did Microsoft know best how to use their own products?

In any case I always set a 10GB pagefile on a seperate partition, I have more than enough space so I figured why not.

lol I have to agree...MS claims to know more about their OS, yet they can't figure out how to secure it from attacks etc???

And I've read all kinds of misleading and downright stupid advice and information from MS's own knowledgebase

I take their crap with a grain of salt

if YOU think no pagefile is bad, then YOU can put a pagefile in

but you will never convince those that don't want nor need one that it is necessary as they have been doing without one for a long time.

thats sorta the point of the vid really...these are MY tweaks, and you don't have to follow them, or you might know a slightly better one etc.

lol I have to agree...MS claims to know more about their OS, yet they can't figure out how to secure it from attacks etc???

And I've read all kinds of misleading and downright stupid advice and information from MS's own knowledgebase

I take their crap with a grain of salt

if YOU think no pagefile is bad, then YOU can put a pagefile in

but you will never convince those that don't want nor need one that it is necessary as they have been doing without one for a long time.

thats sorta the point of the vid really...these are MY tweaks, and you don't have to follow them, or you might know a slightly better one etc.

True Angry_Games and believe me I do not doubt your skills!!!!Keep up the good work !!!!

• 1 month later...

Angry - My account for the Mirror #1 at Lark888.net expires the end of May 2006 and will not be renewed. I've kept the file up as there have been 4 to 5 downloads per day on average since the initial setup. I'll post again if I get more space at another host to let you know. Thanks for your good work. Lark