!wanted! Powerfull Psu

cyberpc04

Ok, I need a new power supply and i'd like to get a powerfull one so I don't have to keep buying a new one every two seconds. I am running a 2500Barton, 1hdd, 2cd-rw, two case lights, 6 0.25amp fans, 3 0.7 amp fans, FX5600 Ultra Rev. 2, 56k modem, 1gig pc3200, and a tv tuner card. What is a recomended power supply for this stuff and if you have one you'd be willing to sell PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I really need a good PSU fast cuz I need this PC up VERY soon. I will also be running a printer, two web cams, joystick, pda, and two optical mice off of USB which will also drain more power. PLEASE HELP!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

If your looking for reliability, I would go with the Enermax 465P, it's actually 431W. I have one running XP 1800 4HDD of of which 2 are on RAID 0, 5 CC lights 4 LED fans, 2 other 80mm fans, fan speed controller, CD-RW, DVD-RAM drives, optical mouse, USB keyboard, all with no prob. Plus the new model has adjustable fan speeds (quiet). With the original case PSU (350W) intermitent boot-up at best (also before lights). Never had one problem in over a year on this thing. kinda pricey though about $80.

for that a 350W would be the minimum I would go. but since this is occ and most likely ur gonna o/c I would recommend atleast 400W. I would stick with Antec True Power or the 550W True Control PSU's. so anything from 400-550W would be fine.

i don't think many people give 350w psu's enough credit...

right now i have 4 harddrives (in 2 seperate raid arrays), a cdrom drive (currently ripping a cd), 3 80 mm fans, 2 12" ccfl, 2 4" ccfl, and ati 9700 pro (playing a movie in the background so its drawing power too), a usb CF card reader, usb optical mouse, usb joystick, and a firewire port drawing power to charge my ipod.

all on a enermax 350w psu.

add my maxtrix orbital lcd to that too. (usb drawing power for the back light)

All depends on who made your power supply.

I've seen cheapie 300w's and well made 300w's. Same thing for 400's and 350's. Just make sure you are getting 20-30+ A per rail and you are fine. If it says 15A for any rail, junk it. :P

Ones to stay away from are Macron, QTNG, Y2K, and any other cheapies.

I've had good luck with Sparkle/SPI and Enermax.

Edited by FxXP

$129 for a psu? I know there's several of you that would pay that much, but i can never bring myself to pay over $100 for a psu.

When i bought my case from www.colorcases.com back in February, i got their 450w dual-fan ColorCases PSU, which they're selling now for a mere $22 (It was maybe 30 when i got it). Anyways, you're probably saying, "22 dollars! That must be a cheap, terrible psu", but not even close. I'm amazed how well my computer's run all these months. They even have a 550w dual-fan for $26, so you'd might as well get that one for an added boost:

http://ww1.colorcases.com/neo/shopdisplayp...ower%2BSupplies

The only drawback of these psu's is that it has the minimum # of molex connectors. This normally isn't a problem since most case fans have both male and female connectors, leaving enough connectors for 2 harddrives, 2 cdroms, and of course a floppy drive. For me, however, the fan for my HSF didn't have dual connectors, so i just went to my nearby microcenter and picked up an extra connector for like $4....well worth it.

Say what you will about it being cheap, but i highly recommend it.

BTW, they do have some really cool, expensive psu's if you scroll to the bottom, with windows and crap.

its a proven fact that u get what u pay for with psu's. Enermax and Antec true blue power supplies are the only mainstream psu's worth paying money for.

Read these reviews here and tell me that your $20 psu is a solid performer,

http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/PSUs/

also check out http://www.pcpowercooling.com/ then tell me $100.00 is alot for a psu :D

while expensive theyre the best psu's reserved for the hardest hardware geek.

its a proven fact that u get what u pay for with psu's. Enermax and Antec true blue power supplies are the only mainstream psu's worth paying money for.

Read these reviews here and tell me that your $20 psu is a solid performer,

http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/PSUs/

also check out http://www.pcpowercooling.com/ then tell me $100.00 is alot for a psu :D

while expensive theyre the best psu's reserved for the hardest hardware geek.

I fail to see what the gruntville reviews have to do with my $20 psu? They didn't review the psu's i mentioned. What i did notice was that a $50 psu got a good rating, with it's only major drawback being it was a mere 350w, and a $65 psu got a really good rating as well. So if you're trying to prove that you should spend over $100 for a psu, you're not showing the right evidence.

And as for your pcpowercooling.com link. I'm fully aware there are $300 psu's out there. that doesn't mean $100 is not a lot. I can go out and get a quadro dcc for over $600, but does that mean $450+ for a 9800pro is cheap??? Please!

Say what you will about the colorcases psu, but i'm standing by it until it gives me a reason not to. It's been running my comp flawlessly for 7 months, and in a couple of days i'll be adding lights, and i'm sure it will still be fine.