Total System Crash while playing WOW not sure if MOBO related.

I am not sure if this problem has anything to do with my Motherboard, but this forum is such a better place to seek Tech Support than most places so I thought I would try.

This problem is related entirely to playing World of Warcraft. Let me start by saying, I know that crashed during game play are typically 90% driver related. I have tried resolving the issue by upgrading my drivers, and it has not helped.

Here are the symptoms:

While playing WOW I will sometimes have a complete system crash where my whole computer will reboot. I am running Win XP so this has me somewhat concerned. I have monitored my temps while playing Wow and with my XP-90 the hottest thing is the chipset, but it never gets above 51C. WOW will also crash to desktop due to in game stability issues from time to time. (I have been able to resolve this by removing some aftermarket game related mods that were causing the issues)

Current Drivers on my Graphics Card are the latest version of the OmegaDrivers for my system with Fastwrites off. Also, I recently installed an old Soundblaster card from a previous system, it works fine, but I am wondering if perhaps that card could have something to do with these issues?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Guest Dynamic

Now are you playing any other games that are running stable? So you got the latest 5.12 CCC installed? It sounds like memory to me. How did you test out your system when you had it overclocked? How long have you been playing WOW and has it been crashing like this since or it started recently? What are your voltages on your CPU/RAM/CHIPSET? Are you using the VID Special as well to get a higher Vcore for your CPU? I can see that you're running the 310 Bios for your M/B and your Venice is more than likely not the case. What happens when you change the Command Rate (MA-TIMING) to 2T? Let me know what's going on, thanks.

OK, have not tried bringing the OC back to stock. This does not happen frequently, so that seemed drastic, but I can try it.

Had crash issues with CIV 4 when the Chipset got up to 56C and triggered a shut down. Fixed that by rearranging wires and air flow of case. No longer an issue.

System plays the following games at full Graphics settings with no problems: Neverwinter Nights, Star Wards Galaxies, C&C Generals, KOTOR, Civ 4(after above fix), Farcry, Warcraft III, and Dawn of War.

What is 5.12CCC? Is that the ATI Catalyst? If so, I have the latest version from Omega Drivers. I find his stuff to work better with games and compatibility. (but maybe not today?)

I have not primed my computer in quite awhile. I ran some tests about 3 months ago when I scaled back my OC, but no where near the level when doing an initial overclock.

When I initially tested out my system I used Prime 95 almost exclusively. I could never get OCCT to produce the graphs so I didn't care for the test. My system did pass, I just never got to see any of the cool results. The system Primed for over 36 hours at 2.6 ghz.

I am using special to get my voltage. I think it is running at 1.30 + 110%. MBM shows 1.44volts. Currently running at 240 * 10. I really don't think my Memory is the issue because when I benched my Memory during my initial OC I found the max FSB the sticks would take was 273 mhz. One theory I have on this is that the long end of my XP-90 is over one of the memory sticks. The Panaflo is blowing down on the heatsink, but could that maybe cause the stick to be hotter than normal? I would think that it would help rather than hurt, but the space is rather tight down there.

Where is the command 2T function. I am at work, so I can't see my system, but I am drawing a blank on that one.

I will give these suggestions a try this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you can do is eliminate the SB Live as the problem by removing it and trying the onboard sound. Just a test foremost. I had a problem with an OEM SB Live. It went bad faster than the retail versions.

Is your ram PC3200? I mean realistically, the ram properties could have changed a bit over its overclocked lifespan. Not exactly common, but definitely a possibility. Any kind of air as long as its not overheated blowing on your ram is a good thing.

Try the SBLIVE option first. Clean out any reminents of SB Live and ATI driver folders if you haven't already done so, but it sounds like you may have already.

Since the problem occurs during gameplay, you should run a benchmark like 3dmark05, which stresses your video card too. Prime doesn't stress the video at all.

In system Properties, Advanced Tab, Settings, turn off the checkmark next to "Automatically Restart". Hopefully if there is an error, you'll be able to view it, before it auto restarts. Also, have you looked in the event viewer to see if this is explaining anything?

• 3 weeks later...

did you fix the problem?? im having the same issue with the same game and i dont know what else to do, i´ve updated all my drivers, my mobo bios, etc etc... the game freezes randomly ingame after 10-15 mins of play.