OLD problem returns - Won't post, 4 LEDs on

Hey Trevor,

Yes, the Ultra D has a mini speaker on it, that should beep when there are problems, I'm guessing. It comes disabled out of the box, and there is a jumper near the clear CMOS jumper that you have to switch in order to enable the speaker. Hope that made sense.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Do I have to buy another CPU in order to see if mine is rreally the problem? sadly i dont have another PC that can has the 939 socket, nor do my friends. :(

thanks for your help everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After giving in and taking my rig over to PC Club for a diagnostic, it was determined that my CPU was bad.

I called AMD for an RMA, and the rep I talked to said that DFI boards weren't on their recommended board list, that they tend to burn out AMD CPUs...yada yada...

and so now I'm wondering, with all the mobo/cpu I've had, if I should give in and swap mobos.

I really don't know what to do now. I just want a stable rig. Any suggestions? :confused: Thanks!

They say that about every motherboard since it could NEVER be their CPU.

If it was really a problem do you think so many forum members would be running AMD on DFI?

UPDATE:

After giving in and taking my rig over to PC Club for a diagnostic, it was determined that my CPU was bad.

I called AMD for an RMA, and the rep I talked to said that DFI boards weren't on their recommended board list, that they tend to burn out AMD CPUs...yada yada...

and so now I'm wondering, with all the mobo/cpu I've had, if I should give in and swap mobos.

I really don't know what to do now. I just want a stable rig. Any suggestions? :confused: Thanks!

:confused: I'm not trying to start a war here, I just want a working system. I'm not sure why youre so hostile.

I would love to be able to use my Ultra-D, and chose a DFI board b/c of all the great things I've read.

But at this point, I really don't know what to do.

They say that about every motherboard since it could NEVER be their CPU.

If it was really a problem do you think so many forum members would be running AMD on DFI?

Hey no one is hostile here, it is just a pointer that you too can use to get your cpu rma'ed. Cos using this info that they just bark out at you saying that your board is the culprit, you can handle them better now since you know that they do it to every customer.

@ExRoadie

There was a similar problem with another of our members and a admin of this forum got to talk to some one in AMD and also got an official reply right? Sorry me could not find that link.

thanks no_nonsense.

I really have no desire to use another mobo. i love the layout and features of the ultra-D, and everyone from anandtech to regular users praise it.

however, i've just had one problem after another, and got spooked by that AMD tech who said that if the CPU died again, that it could be the mobo's fault and that they might not replace it since it wasn't an "approved" board.

so, can i take the risk when i get my new CPU and pop it into the Ultra-D or do i get a new mobo (which is not what i want to do)?

thanks

so, can i take the risk

That is a question that no one else in their right mind would try to answer for you really. Why? Because all they can do is report what has been the situation with them. I probably have knowledge vicariously of at least 45 of the NF4 LanParty series of boards and none of them has killed a cpu yet. What with my own and close personal friends that have them and run them daily and not one of them has had a cpu go bad at all.

So that still does not answer can "you" risk just going back to business as usual when you get your new cpu. I have at least 45 yeses to your 1 no. But is that an answer? I doubt it. You have to take and make your own mind. You have to take what you hear with a grain of salt as they say. Myself I would put the cpu in with attention to detail and safe-guards against ESD and go on about my business. But that still is not you. You got to go with your own rationale. That is what I would do if I were you.

RGone...

Thanks RGone.

You're absolutely right, it's totally up to me, but it's nice to hear that anyway. Part of it was also trying to cut through the spurious info AMD was stating about DFI boards.

I plan to follow the step-by-step build guide to the letter, but if there is anything else I should do, please feel to post.

hi. this is my first post in DFI street. I have the same problem. My opteron 165 won't boot even after trying all the methods posted in this forum.

The standby and DRAM LED are lit up when i turn the power on. When i press start, the speaker will sound 'beep beeeeeeeeeep' and then the 4 diagnostic LED would light up and then become 3LED, 2, and later only the LED nearest to the edge of the board would light up. The monitor would only show a splash screen which reads 'LANPARTY NF4' and nothing else. The screen would be there for as long as you leave it. When i disconnect the power supply by holding the start button or by other means, the speader will sound again 'beep beeeeeeeep'

Before this problem occured, i manage to POST twice and enter bios once. This is a new rig so there is no Windows installed.

Erm... if i had not mistaken, my problem also started after i clear CMOS. The POST was before i clear CMOS.

Will keep follwing this thread. Would appreciate if anyone can help me with this. Thanks

info about my PSU since it is not in the recommended list:

http://www.sansungroup.com.tw/sansun/arctic.html

http://www.amdboard.com/sansun_arctic_550w.html

http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.309

sansunartic08.jpg