OLD problem returns - Won't post, 4 LEDs on

UPDATE: 12/27/05

See last post -- the CPU is bad, and is being RMA'd

Current question: get a different mobo?

This evening I got home from a business trip, and my RMA'd nf4 Ultra-D (my 3rd attempt with this mobo) was at my door and boy was I happy. My RMA'd Raptor had arrived just before I left on the trip, and now I was finally set to go. OR NOT. :confused:

I put the mobo in the case (P180), inserted CPU and heatsink, seated 1 DIMM of ram in slot 2, plugged in my vid card, and connected the 4 proper power connectors.

I then plugged in the power cord, flipped the 1/O power switch, and the amber light by the ram and the one at the bottom of the board came on. good.

and then i hit the power button on the board....

all fans spun, incl CPU fan, but the 4 red diagnostic LEDS came on.

I tried the PSU jumper trick seen here , but the board wouldnt power on at all that way (2 ambers did come on but thats all).

I am SO frustrated. my first mobo was RMA'd, and when I got the second, this problem was resolved. However, I think there was a short in the board, so I had to RMA that one, and just got its replacement, the one that I have now.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I've tried what I could, but have no idea how to proceed.

Can anyone help? please? :(

juss my 2 cents but try booting with just one stick and then changing your ram timings to that of which your ram uses. that happened to me when two leds would come on and then it would go back to 4 leds then back to 2. it confused me but i just changed some timings and got it to boot but it only worked in single-channel you should give it a try.

I have no idea at all why you guys get a board in and throw it in and NEVER clear the cmos. No telling what cpu or memory or anything else was in the board before sent out to you. Clearing the CMOS ought to be first procedure for ANY new install of mobo anyway. Doing so will keep a lot of gray hair away early and headaches to a mininum. Well it does for me anyway.

Exactly as below and missed steps makes for invalid procedure at any point. Miss a step it is best to start from scratch.

RGone...

Remove power from the system. Pull cord from wall if you must. Or from rear of power supply.

Remove the battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to clear postition (pin 2 and 3).

Move the speaker jumper to on position. Page 7 quick start manual.

Make sure you have a wired keyboard plugged into the PS2 port. Not USB in other words. USB to PS2 OK.

Leave the CMOS jumper at clear for at least 30 minutes.

Put ONLY one ( 1 ) stick of memory in ORANGE slot closest the top edge of motherboard.

Set the CMOS jumper back to normal (pin 1 and 2).

Replace the battery.

Press and hold down the "Insert" Key on the keyboard.

Apply power to power supply again WITH "Insert" key still pressed down.

Press the start/power on button on the rig. WITH the "Insert" key still pressed down.

When you hear the beep from the speaker. Release the "Insert" Key and quickly press the "Delete" key and enter the bios and load optimized defaults. Save and Exit bios and reboot to enter bios to make necessary adjustments.

Thanks Rgone. I did clear the CMOS by moving the jumper and removing the battery, but only did it for 15 mins (I don't know why I chose that amount) and didn't know about those steps. I will do that for sure.

I followed the sticky "illustrated build guide," not the one the ExRoadie linked. I will try pulling everything out and trying again using the linked guide, but the only divergence I made was putting the mobo in the case first, then populated it.

I will try those and update here.

Thanks lazy. Sadly, I do know all about the Seasonic issue.

However, the mobo et al worked FINE on the second mobo I had. the problem was that i made a stupid decision and think i maybe caused a short on the mobo, so I had to RMA it.

Again, I got my computer as far as the Windows setup with the second mobo I had, so I know this setup CAN work, since it has.

Also, for that Seasonic issue, there is the jumper solution, which I linked above, which has worked for many people (who posted in the older seasonic psu thread).

Exactly as below and missed steps makes for invalid procedure at any point. Miss a step it is best to start from scratch.

RGone, I followed those steps to the letter (I waited 40 mins vs 30), and am still having the same problem.

I guess tomorrow AM i will have to pull everything out, and try the step by step build instructions.

wish me luck

I followed the build guide (linked above), to the letter, and am still getting 4 red LEDs. CPU fan, northbridge fan, and vid card fan all spin as normal. Even though the mobo speaker is enabled, I am getting NO buzzing, even when I try to clear the CMOS (as listed above).

It will not boot/post at all.

Do I need to RMA this board too?

Do I need a diff PSU?

EDIT:

Here's what I have connected to the mobo:

CPU

4 power connectors

1 DIMM in slot #2

vid card

PS2 keyboard

Again, everything worked fine in this box with the second Ultra-D I had, but that had to go back due to my own error.

I could really use some help. Everything seems ok, but I've had all these parts since Sept and it's still now working :confused:

Many thanks!

hey. i removed my ihs and it worked when i put the hs back on. but it was too hot so i decided to remove some more height from the mounting bracket. when i finished, my computer failed to boot. i then removed the cpu and noticed that i had chipped it. when i removed the cpu the computer turned on and the 4 leds stayed on. so it might be your cpu thast broken.