Sign in to follow this  
jay25dj

Temp Monitors, are they accurate?

Hi people!

I recently got my new Lanparty Expert and since putting my opteron in i have seen quite a drop in temps over my old A8N-SLi. According to asus probe on my old board the cpu idled around 30-32*C but having moved to the DFI i know seem to have idle temps around 24-26*C!! Sometimes my cpu coolers caf even spins down as the temp drops below the minimum in the bios of 25*C!!

Are the temp sensors on this mobo accurate when read through MBM5 using the modded data files or should i allow for a bit of headroom here? i have noticed that my reading for DDR voltage is normally about 0.4v off what i set it in the bios, so was wondering if the same could be said for the reported temps?

Probably are, but trust the BIOS over most things - and don't suspend these motherboards, the 'temperature' will jump to 45-ish (even when my BIOS reads 17!) - some glitch.

The better the cooling and power, the cooler most things will run TBH

L

Thats what i thought, but the bios is what controls the fan speed for my Freezer 64 Pro as its plugged into the mobo, and sometimes it drops visibly in rpm! Not that i'm complaining, its clocked at 2.5Ghz at the mo and if it idles at 26*C there, im pretty sure i can get some nice temps at high speeds when i get some decent OC co-operative memory! lol!

on my NF3 250Gb, I have the fan set to shut off below 30°C, and my chassis fan to shut off at same temps.

It kinda freaky sometimes at night when I happen to look over at it and the fans are stopped until I remember that I have it set this way

temp readings are fairly accurate (usually within 2°C or 3°C)

on my NF3 250Gb, I have the fan set to shut off below 30°C, and my chassis fan to shut off at same temps.

It kinda freaky sometimes at night when I happen to look over at it and the fans are stopped until I remember that I have it set this way

Very interesting AG. With the system in my signature, i was hoping for a way to setup the 2x120mm fans on my radiator to be auto-controlled by my CPU temp, to dissapate more heat from the radiator. On my ol NF2 LP ultrab, i could not do so, or could not find literature on how to do so. The power put out from the motherboard to run the 120's was insuffecient as to be able to run the 120's at full speed. I had to use a fan controller, although not an problem in any way. But it would make the system much happier with a constant 97 degrees, controlled itself from CPU.

Surely that can be achieved with an extension of the cables from the CPU fan?!

Does the yellow cable not control the fan speed? Just use the red and black ones from a Molex and lengthen the yellow one to a controller

i dont recommend putting 120mm fans on the motherboard headers

i think some higher-end fan controllers are programmable like the nf4 headers are

i always put my 120mm fans on a fan controller for watercooling setups

not to my knowledge but as I said, there are more than a few higher-end digital controllers that I think can be set to different speeds dependent on temps

or just turn the knobs up or down manually to set the fan speeds lol

(when I play games, I crank all my fans to high, as i play my games loud and can't hear the rig over the booming blasting bashing banging explosionary destructificational damages I am dealing out...but when I am not playing, I turn the fans down to silent and with watercooling as long as the pump is running, the hardware stays cool enough to not be harmed nor crash)

(when I play games, I crank all my fans to high, as i play my games loud and can't hear the rig over the booming blasting bashing banging explosionary destructificational damages I am dealing out...but when I am not playing, I turn the fans down to silent and with watercooling as long as the pump is running, the hardware stays cool enough to not be harmed nor crash)

So true.

Those higher end fan controllers, most have temperature probes, and getting that prob anywhere near the cpu to get an accurate reading is nearly impossible. I have a 80mm fan pointed at my ram, with a temperature probe on them. Pushing 3.2v to them, they are bound to get hotter than 80 F. I could turn the fan off, it'll stay the same temp. I just can't trust the probes on the fan controllers.

My current fan controller, not high-end by any means, has 4 temp probes. I used 2 on my CPU, one on each side of the cpu. The temps differ by 7 degrees, and the closest one is still 5 degrees off of what MBM5 says. Granted 5 degrees isn't much, 12 degrees is getting a bit higher. I guess i'm trying to much, when it's just a simple flick of 2 knobs to control speed....

Hi people!

I recently got my new Lanparty Expert and since putting my opteron in i have seen quite a drop in temps over my old A8N-SLi. According to asus probe on my old board the cpu idled around 30-32*C but having moved to the DFI i know seem to have idle temps around 24-26*C!! Sometimes my cpu coolers caf even spins down as the temp drops below the minimum in the bios of 25*C!!

Are the temp sensors on this mobo accurate when read through MBM5 using the modded data files or should i allow for a bit of headroom here? i have noticed that my reading for DDR voltage is normally about 0.4v off what i set it in the bios, so was wondering if the same could be said for the reported temps?

Temps are not accurate , they are way off, I don't care what anyone else says, my smart guardian reads 25C while a probe on the heat sink reads 33C . This means the CPU is 8C cooler then the heat sink? I think NOT.

However it seems that load temps bring the difference closer within 3-4C.

That is why I installed a probe to keep a good watch on my temps.