Sign in to follow this  
Pntgrd

Starting to loose my patience with this DFI board

i always used SATA 1 (and SATA 2 if doing raid) as well as either memory slots (blue or black) and never found a difference.

if those Gskills are Samsung UCCC based modules, check out the Stock Speed database for settings on that board (OCZ PC4000EL 3-4-8-4 Samsung UCCC's)

2. Since I was having boot problems from the start one of the 1st things I did was flash to the latest bios, v8/31. As to it not being a Lanparty and not being made to be an overclocker. Then the board needs to not be described as being the same board with just a few less bells and whistles. Nowhere is it ever stated that it is NOT made to overclock. And none of the reviews I read stated that either. I guess I just didn't read between the lines enough.

I am honestly trying to help here...

No motherboard comes with an overclocking guarantee! Not even on the LanParty UT product pages does DFI mention any guaranteed overclock, or that you'll have any success overclocking. They simple state that their boards have the capability.

You very well may have gotten a DOA/flaky board, but you shouldn't ever "expect" an overclock. You should expect stock speeds, and be pleased by how far you can push your system above them. Sure, DFI makes some of the best OC boards, but minor variances exist in any electronics manufacturing and your old MSI board may have been a better overclocker with your given set of parts. This also extends to CPUs, RAM, VC's, power supplys, etc. There are no guarantees (other than stability @ default speeds) and OC'ing is an unofficial science...

Assuming that your new DFI board isn't DOA, you should have no troubles building an excellent, stock speed system w/o the problems you have mentioned. Once that's done, you could proceed to your OC and tweak away. But if you're dead set on another brand, best of luck...

Also, AFAIK, there is NO support for S939 Opteron's on "desktop" boards, meaning basically anything the normal consumer would buy. This includes boards from ABIT, ASUS, etc. So you may find even rougher going with that CPU and a non-DFI, at least there's a comprehensive thread available here...

I don't know if you are still interested in this, but it seems a pretty common problem with overclocking on the infinity boards.

Go to Advanced Chipset in the BIOS and disable CPU Spectrum Spread.

With it enabled no matter what you set the BIOS to it seems to just clock any CPU down to 9x200.

Once its disabled, everything works how you would expect it to. I don't know if this is a BIOS issue or what, and I'm not even quite sure what the CPU Spectrum Spread is, but thats how you overclock. :)

Hope that helps.

Pntgrd... One last thing bro...There are thousands of DFI users who are extremely happy with their ocing.. and you must have seen many people saying that DFI board is much more stable in oc speeds than any other boards. I know I am. I'm sorry you have got a bad board. But DFI is NOT bad..! Its an Awesome board.. but its true that it can be a pain in neck in the beginning.. If you are gonna go with a nother brand, good luck dude..Posting angry threads condeming DFI will not make others quit it..because anybody seeing this forum will see how great people overclock with DFI's !!

Good luck bro!

Yes i see MANY reasons here to NOT be angry with DFI for your problems with this board .

Yeah yeah # 1: opteron not supported.

#2: the CPU-z showing reduced Mhz could be a result of the spread spectrum or because thermal throttling is enabled.

#3:sometimes ID software readings are just simply WRONG: i have had several instances where CPU-z will display incorrect RAM/CPU frequencies AND voltages

SAME with nvdia's nTUNE.. WAY OFF ...only way to tell for sure is by running benches (if you can get that far)

#4: should always start with SATA 1 on these boards REGARDLEss (from experience)

#5: I would recomment trying a ps/2 mouse and key board on initial build then use usb 2.0 AFTER you install mobo drivers

#6: You say you followed guides to start OCing but from what i am reading in this thread it seems that you have in fact NOT followed any of these guides accurately enough and from the info you give us your problems could stem from MANY MANY things.

Not trying to be hard on you or anything but in all respect your not being fair to DFI ...you are simply trying to rush through a long process and are getting results as such.. you seem a tad impatient when it comes to ocing when patience is mainly the KEY.

wevsspot,

thanks for the step by step how to reset BIOS-now I know how if I ever need it.

Pntgrd,

Sorry but IMO this board is a HUGE plus-I was considering an ASUS board but with very positive Ultra D feedback AND this forum, the decision was simple ;)

--

totally stock Opty 175 (incl. the stock AMD cooler)--dumping the Copper Thermalright (a waste running @ stock speeds/temps)

I don't know if this is a BIOS issue or what, and I'm not even quite sure what the CPU Spectrum Spread is, but thats how you overclock. :)

CPU spectrum spread, atleast on older Intel boards, would actively alter the CPU frequency to spread the EMI generated over a wider range of frequencies (so that there was less continuous EMI at specific frequencies, which would lower the interferance on devices that are only sensetive to certain frequencies).

Its definitely something that should be disabled, an aluminum case and an aluminum heatsink (that is grounded to the case) will stop just about all EMI emanating from the CPU (protecting other PC components from EMI) and the case (less EMI for external devices).

Guest OCNewb

I've been having a lot of problems with getting my amd 64 x2 working at stock speeds on my DFI Infinity SLI. I get random freezes where all I/O stops (not even BSOD). Now there have been a lot of issues with Nforce 4 and even Nvidia graphics cards with amd 64 x2 processors as can be seen from

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...95&hl=amd+64+x2

and

http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx...0&enterthread=y

My memory passes memtest86 (11 hours) and all my temperatures are good. All the voltages reported in BIOS except for the 5v rail (which is reported as 6V) seem good. I did have to up the RAM voltage from 2.6V to 2.7V to get the OCZ RAM stable. It seems that the board under-volts the RAM slightly anyway. I have also installed the AMD x2 processor drivers and applied the MS hotfix and updated my graphics card drivers etc.

Now here is the strange part. I have been getting the most stable results after I remove USB 2.0 support from the BIOS. Thus I only have USB 1.1 enabled. I've been running this way for 2 days now with no crashes yet. In fact I see qualitative improvement in programs like Matlab, which use to fully load both processors even when idling. It no longer does that. This is strange since I do not use any USB peripherals, except an occasional flash drive, which is usually not plugged in.