Sign in to follow this  
orbster556

Are the Newegg Reviews Accurate???

While the overwhelming majority of reviews of the LanParty Nf4 ULtra-D on newegg are positive, a good number of the reviews suggest that to get the board to run properly you should check out this forum. Moreover, they go on to say that to get it stable you have a spend a lot of time tweaking. I don't mind tweaking settings and such to optimize performance but I don't really like doing it just to get the board to run. Are some of the reviewers on newegg exaggerating to a certain extent or will I need to spend a good chunk of time getting the board to work once I first install it?

Thanks in advance...

Your best bet is to check many sources of information.

This forum is an excellent source of very accurate information.

Start with the stickies and work your way around any issues you've learned of with the search tool.

Take a look at the sigs of forum members that are satisfied with their rigs and try to duplicate what they have.

take the reviews on newegg like a grian of salt(is that the expression?) most of the reviewers didnt even buy the product, and treat the review section as a forum(ie. asking questions)

like ex-roadie said..use multiple sources to base your decision.

When it comes to any set of reviews, i always take into consideration that most people will post there views on a product when they have had troubles with it or it didnt work like they thought it would. If you think about it, most people will not make a review when the product worked flawless. (notice how i said most, not all lol)

I have 2 computers with DFI MB's. Everything went fine with setting them up. I made it a point to spend alot of time reading the stickies and browsing through the hundreds of post, I also went to DFI site and downloaded the manual and read through it before I bought the MB's. It's best to stick with recommended PSU's and memory.

No the reviews are censored, and posted by newegg's discretion, check their policy, but they arent bad........... but look up many sources.

I have 2 computers with DFI MB's. Everything went fine with setting them up. I made it a point to spend alot of time reading the stickies and browsing through the hundreds of post, I also went to DFI site and downloaded the manual and read through it before I bought the MB's. It's best to stick with recommended PSU's and memory.

How true. I was the same before I bought my DFI and I had no major issue's at all. The only issue I had was when installing OS, I had SATA and IDE drives connected at the same time so some of the OS install files were written to the IDE drive and therefore = no boot. I removed the IDE and loaded the OS with ONE SATA drive. I've been OC'ing and tweaking ever since :shake: :nod:

I've got a pretty basic system, and I got the it to fire up on the first shot with all defaults loaded. As far as running stable - that's more a factor of what components you get because DFI boards tend to be very picky when it comes to things like RAM...As one board member put it - They're about as close to an electronic DIVA as you can get.

I could have sworn it said "XXXXX please..." when I waved some Kingston Value Ram at it...

So why did I settle on DFI? I would have been just as happy to buy an ASUS, plug everything in, and turn the power on and never look at it again...but it's winter time in NYC and I've got nothing but time on my hands, so what better way to pass the time then to spend HOURS upon HOURS sifting through posts about how to make my 1k rig perform like a 2k rig.

Read the stickies, *especially* the ones on choosing power supplies and RAM, and you won't go wrong.

So in new egg style:

Pros:

- Great board layout

- endless array of overclocking options and voltage settings (which is hard to appreciate until you understand where voltages fit in the OC equations)

- Nifty color scheme - I wasn't too keen on the yellow and orange - but it's grown on me over time

- Thoughtful design - Oscar knows how to engineer a mobo :)

- SUPPORT - there's not a single other mobo manufacturer that has the rabid fan base of supporters that you'll find with DFI. Someone at SOME point will answer your question in all but the rarest cases. There are also emloyees of the memory manufacturers that are mods of this board that have *bent over backwards* for people they've never met. My hat really goes off to these guys for putting up with the *same* questions over and over again but still managing to direct the users to the right resources. I'm sorry but you just can't top that :)

Cons:

- DFI's are the divas of the mobo world. Try handing your wife or girlfriend a pleather handbag instead of the one from Coach that she asked for and observe her reaction... This board pretty much reacts the same... (i.e. it might not complain at first, but over time it'll make your life a living hell trying to figure out what you did wrong).

Hope that helps you some...

Cheers...

Mocha

take the reviews on newegg like a grian of salt(is that the expression?)
No but it is if you spell "grian" "grain" :shake:

Not that it matters, but since we're being picky..

It's "with a grain of a salt" not "like a grain of salt"...

A grain of sand is like a grain of salt...To accept something with a healthy dose of skepticism is to take something with a grain of salt.

But yeah anyway - I knew what you meant the first time :) besides you did ask if it was the saying :)

Oh and yeah...

DFI baby!!!!....

I am glad to see you are one of the few that is actually doing a bit of homework/research before actually diving in over your head so to speak...

All I can tell you is you'll get the best board service here....This place is here to help if you run into trouble....Unlike other board companies where your only option is to call tech support or just RMA option....

There are many people here willing to help if you have the time to read and post according to the rules....As stated some have put together a DFI rig with no sweat but other have had some real good obsticles to overcome.....

I myself have 4 boards I bought and I only had a problem with one of them... And thanks to this site...getting it replaced with a working board was a piece of cake and total turn around was less than a week....

DFI's are nice but sometimes they can be like the pickiest. most bull headed woman you'd ever cross.....once you show her who's boss....you got it whipped...

DFI's do have a list of prefered parts and as long as you stick by that list you'll be headed in the right direction....good luck...