Results so go it's preposterous! But is it real?

Howdy,

Just thought I would tell everybody that I am mostly thrilled with the DFI NF4 Expert and the Opteron 175, and the Corsair TwinX 2048 3500LL, and the Zalman 9500, and the OCZ PowerStrem 600 Watt.

I have been able to achieve 100% stability at 2.75GHz (FSB=250, CPU multipliper=11 , CPU voltage=1.525v, Ram Frequency=500MHz, 3-4-4-8, 2.88v. All the benchmarks run to completition and I did a 10 hour load test last night with the Following:

(1) Prime95

(2) HotCPU Tester Pro

(3) CPU Stability Test 5.0 by Juoni Vuorio

(4) SuperPI

All of them were run together, simoltaneously for 10 hours. The system was fine this morning. All tests shutdown cleanly, and reported no errors for the duration.

Now for the preposterous part: My CPU temp is reading 24 Celcius right now, which is equal to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. During the load test, my temperature never rose above 38 degrees Celcius, which is equal to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now, it is winter time, I am using an ultra-high capacity heat sink, this is a great board, a great processor. It is not particularly warm in my house, but I do live in Southern California, so the temperature is not particularly cold either. It might be 64 degrees minimum inside my room. It might be a little higher.

Can this be real? The temperature readings just seem too damn low for such a high overclock and such a heavy load test. I trying to confirm or refute these temperature settings by various means (thermometers and my hands) and it sure doesn't seem like the air coming off the sink is very hot. The board doesn't feel hot either.

Does anybody know of heat sensor inaccuracies with the Expert board? Is this a problem that anyone has reported. If I had to guess, I woudl guess that my sensor is inaccurate and I am 10 degrees low.

Guest thespin

Other people report low temps for the Expert also but it's probably an inaccuracy caused by a bug in the bios ...

i just got my expert last night and it reports my CPU at 120C at idle! :eek2:

it shipped with the 11/02 BIOS so i'll flash to a newer one tonight. that should fix both our issues.

edit: i think we have the same CPU. it's a denmark core, not italy (your sig).

it shipped with the 11/02 BIOS so i'll flash to a newer one tonight. that should fix both our issues.

I dont mean to "thread crap" but I love your VEGA! or at least the pic you have for your sig. My friend has one with a 632 solid roller motor in it, with a 1071 blower, holy crap, you cant beat the HP to weight ratio :shake:

You are so right! It is the Denmark core, not the Italy core. I'll have to change my signature.

You guys are confirming what I thought was true. We do seem to have problems with the temperature readings on the Expert. I guess we will have to kick it around philosophically, but I think the high reading is more favorable than the low reading. Given a high reading, the fans may pump a little harder, but there's no harm in that. If the reading is too low, the fans won't pump hard enough. There could be some problems there.

actually, last night i set up the BIOS to run memtest, left, came back later in pass #1 and my CPU fan wasn't even spinning! ARGH. no damage done, tho. CPU fan was plugged into the mainboard and, even though it's reporting 120C as my CPU temp, it somehow decided 120C isn't hot enough. :nod:

*sigh* not good to see your CPU fan not spinning on a brand new $475 processor. luckily, i had it all set up outside of the case. needless to say, my fan is now plugged straight into the PSU.