Sign in to follow this  
oeqvist

Is the DFI NF4 sli Expert safe to use?

IMPORTANT!!! Finally there seem to be a light on this issue

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83032

It seems that in rare situations on cold boots the boards give 3 Volts. DFI is aware of the issue and has an issue to help fix it and also works on going official with it.

I am hoping the word is officially out by the end of this month so I can order an expert and feel good about it :)

I am hoping the word is officially out by the end of this month so I can order an expert and feel good about it :)
i for one would be shocked to see anything even remotely close to an official statement concerning this (except perhaps an official 'wtf you talkin bout') from dfi or anyone associated with them. :cool:

ok it just sounded like "nothing can go wrong with DFI mainboards because DFI is the best company on earth" :D

The thing that DFI has a fix for this in a bios updates should tell already it´s a real issue.

I'm from the Xtremesystems.org forums as well. If you followed through all the posts, his was the ONLY one on the Expert board. The OTHERS were from the RDX Crossfire board. Two totally separate incidents. And as another user stated, it's not the HARDWARE's FAULT. It's simple user error. WE ALL should know the risk of overclocking, and so did Pedro and his magic chip. 4ghz, amazing! But, he took the risk, so it's his loss, plain and simple.

The person who said it was pumping 3 or 5v into the cpu needs to back that statement up with some pictures and a voltage test. Otherwise, his word is no good to anyone here.

Reinvented several of the deaths have been on non overclocked boards as well. It doesn´t matter if you overclock or not if the mainboard feeds you 3V on a cold boot. It´s enough for it to happen one in a thousand to instantly kill your CPU and what not really...

RDX and Expert is pretty much the same thing really. It has happened to both...

And that is just one of the posts. Still you are right it has been fine for say 90 % of the people on those forums but still... That sort of issue needs to be fixed and DFI is apparently working on it.

I guess if you would suffer the same with your 4400+ and 7800 SLI cards you wouldn´t be to happy either. Seeing you could do nothing to avoid it but change mainboard.

well, this actually sheds a bit of light on what happened to me recently. My CPU got SOOO hot that it shut itself down. I thought the fan had stopped working, but it seems fine. I could SMELL the darn thing it got so hot.