Sign in to follow this  
TMLAUDIO

Which cpu and mem for oc'n ?

Hi Guys, Well I just sent the board back to DFI and so far they were very helpful with that end, I will have to wait for them to determine that in fact the board is dead and then they will repair it or send a new one. Ok So now....I may want to change a few things before installing the new or repaired board. The memory I have on this board is (Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2) not really the most compatable for overclocking.The processor that I have is the 3400+ CLAWHAMMER CO. revision not good for clocking but a good chip. Please tell what would be the best memory to purchase at this time and the best processor as well. Best meaning for over clocking and stability. Thanks for you help and support.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Tracy Lowery

Newarks are the ticket for S754. Second choice would be a 90 nanometer Sempron. Semprons reach on average 2.6 but are limited on cache. Newarks have the 1meg cache.

Memory, my nod would have to go to TCCD or TCC5 based ram. Easy to clock and get's there on minimal voltage..

Newarks are the ticket for S754. Second choice would be a 90 nanometer Sempron. Semprons reach on average 2.6 but are limited on cache. Newarks have the 1meg cache.

Memory, my nod would have to go to TCCD or TCC5 based ram. Easy to clock and get's there on minimal voltage..

You hit that on the head !

Tracy.. I moved this to the recommendation section..

I hope you dont mind I changed your title to something that reflects your question better..

My Crucial Ballistix PC3200 would absolutely not work unless in DIMM slots 1 and 2 - mobo appeared dead when RAM in slots 1 and 3.....

...but don't be so quick to discard that RAM! It benchmarks up there with some of the best - OK, I am not saying that there is not better stuff out there but the performance gain (if any) vs. cost will simply not be worth it. Spend the money on the CPU - I agree with CPDMF on that one but look closely at prices (also, these 2800+ Semprons E6 revision (i.e. the 90 nm) seem to be OCing at least as good as the 3100+ and soooo cheap!)

I think this is the fastest sckt 754 processor ever made(sig). It's rock stable at 2,916 mhz with 2 gigs of ram at 208 mem speed but it's also watercooled. I've seen others gettin about 2800 on air cooling. This cpu is a mobile so the ihs isnt there and there are special considerations for cooling that accompany a "lidless" cpu to be addressed. The most difficulty I had with the entire setup was getting this very picky infineon ram up to speed but thats a whole different story. BTW that crucial memory will run really well with this cpu. Several guys over at XS forums had it running around 250 with their Newarks.

Cool I think thats the best solution, I will keep the memory and get the 3700 Newark SH8-E5, Question is, where can I buy this exact chip, I looked @ Newegg but did not find it there if anyone know please help, Thanks so much for all the help you guys have given me.

Happy Holidays, Tracy Lowery

Cool Thanks for the link, Do you guys think that I will se a huge difference with this processor as opposed to the 3400 I think I ghad it Oc'd to 2500 and running stable, How much difference will I see....Speculate if you would like....Thanks, Tracy Lowery

What kind of difference? Benchmark, gaming, video editing etc. If you are strictly a gamer you would be better off upgrading to 2 X 1 gig sticks of memory and keeping your Claw. The others would benifit by about 10% for every 200mhz OC.

I have a 3400 co a 3700 cg and this Newark. There is no competition between the co & cg compared to the Newark it blows them away in every aspect. The bottom line for A64's is mhz. The more the merrier.

Sign in to follow this