7800GT: XFX (Black?) or EVGA?

OTT

Mine idles at 38c and 54c full load. Dunno what the NV3 will do on my board, but compared with the online tests my stock cooling is already lower.

Yes the full load blow of the FAN is quite noisy, but then again i use Riva tuner to correct that. Being idle or 2D mode you can't hear the fan at all.

Well you must be the exeption, i have had a few of these cards and the have all idle between 48c and 52c on a DFI MoBo and on my ASUS Mobo and that is with additional cooling! my guess is you dont have the standard hsf on ur card like the rest of us or ur temp monitors are incorrect or your reading the wrong box, either way the sound to good to be true to me for air coolling, anybody else agree? :drool:

It's a 7800GT running 39c idle :rolleyes:

But seriously: checked the heatsink and it makes good contact, yes that little fan at high RPMs is moisy, but my point was you won't notice that in Windows running 2D.

So from a cooling capaciity perspective a silencer or v700cu will not give me that much more. (i still have my v700Cu from my 6800, but can not be asked to put it on with these temps) I might be that the newer cards got newer revisions of the coolers as well? Bottom line: I am happy with my temps and OC (currently 525 / 1185 as advised by Coolbits)

Raphie, ur card must be the exception as I said before, I have had a few of these and all have been the same, and as far as ocing the card goes, my current card is 470 tops, the one b4 that was 490 tops although i can get memory up to 1250 MHz, i have the black version with the XFX logo lit up on the side, I assume you have the same, so therefore same HSF as me, this card runs hotter than the other cards i have had, as we speak my CPU is 22c system 35c and GPU 47c, do not have the NV Silencer 5 Rev 3 fitted yet but soon as i get the time I’ll post back!

nope, mine is green with a silver bracket on the side (it's being sold as an XFX "OEM" version) Just the card in a tight XFX box and driver CD (no X shaped glossy box / games included)

XFX partnr: PV-t70G-UDF3

GF 7800 GT 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI VIVO PCI-E

Ver 1.2 Warranty 11/06 (very recent production date :) )