Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeremy_merged

PCP&C not powerful enough?

Guest Jeremy

I bought the 510w turbocool SLi under the impression from several tests and reviews that it would power my rig with ease.

A few days ago I finished my custom perspex case :D:D with 11 case fans (I like overkill ;)) and upon bootup it takes 10 seconds to get something showing on the monitor, the diagnostic led panel shows it hanging on the video card. When in windows only 1 video card is detected. Even when clocks are at stock.

I have swapped vid cards and tested each on their own, both work.

Other then that everything is fine, stable as a rock.

Before I go out and sell my left kidney for the pcp&c 850 monster on the assumption that the 12v is getting raped too hard, I just wondered if anyone else has had similiar problems before and if it is indeed the power supply. I would of thought if it were the psu it would power up fine but reset/crash when under load.

Thanks for your help :)

Why not leave about 8 of those fans unplugged if you think they're causing the problem. If everything is fine, then call it the PSU, and get a bigger one.

Not to mention that if this is your first boot/initial build of this rig, I wouldn't have all that jazzy stuff plugged in. At least not before you get Windows or whatever OS you choose to run properly.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21248

Try perusing through that thread, as it contains proven methods for everything from Flashing the BIOS, to installing the OS.

Booting on the barest install of your components will help troubleshoot the problem. Especially if you only add one extra thing at at time.

The PCP&C 510 has a 600 watt max. The board and the two 7800 may use as much as 300 - 320 of that; the case fans shouldn't be pulling more than a few hundred but 4 300 Gigabyte drives are over a hundred watts; your 4400 is about a hundred, and then there's your RAM, PCI Sound board, The Raptor, The Optical Drive. I get the impression you forgot Wattage Planning.

Call PCP&C, they might swap you up.

I guess we've all been power unconsious for awhile with the single core and small HDDs.

Sounds like a great rig, just a slight underpower problem.

Wattage Required

I bought the 510w turbocool SLi under the impression from several tests and reviews that it would power my rig with ease.

A few days ago I finished my custom perspex case :D:D with 11 case fans (I like overkill ;)) and upon bootup it takes 10 seconds to get something showing on the monitor, the diagnostic led panel shows it hanging on the video card. When in windows only 1 video card is detected. Even when clocks are at stock.

I have swapped vid cards and tested each on their own, both work.

Other then that everything is fine, stable as a rock.

Before I go out and sell my left kidney for the pcp&c 850 monster on the assumption that the 12v is getting raped too hard, I just wondered if anyone else has had similiar problems before and if it is indeed the power supply. I would of thought if it were the psu it would power up fine but reset/crash when under load.

Thanks for your help :)

I had the same problem with an OCZ Powerstream 600 W : I was unable to launch games as soon as SLI was enabled.

All my problems were solved as soon as I bought another power supply : the OCZ powers the motherboard, the 2 graphic cards and the other one (LC 550 W) all the stuff (4 HDDs, floppy drive, DVD drive, 6 neons, 4 tri-LEDs, 3 x 120 mm fans, 2 x 92 mm fans). Be careful if you plan buying the PC Power & Cooling 850 W, it is not compliant with the DFI nF4 motherboards. That is why I preferred having 2 power supplies. And this solution is far cheaper than a big one !

I doubt it is the psu because the components in that system are not going to be drawing 600 watts just to boot up. I'm not saying that psu is large enough either, but by spec, my psu is too small, yet we all know how these ocz 520's put out and pcp&c are top shelf and I would not be at all suprised if that psu could handle that system.

I doubt it is the psu because the components in that system are not going to be drawing 600 watts just to boot up. I'm not saying that psu is large enough either, but by spec, my psu is too small, yet we all know how these ocz 520's put out and pcp&c are top shelf and I would not be at all suprised if that psu could handle that system.

First, he must evaluate his power nees with this tool : http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

Secondly, the fans consumes a huge power, about 3 A each on the 12 V line when turning at the maximum speed. So 33 A on the 12 V line with the 11 fans only !

For sure, the PC P&C 510 is not powerful enough.

I had the same problem with an OCZ Powerstream 600 W : I was unable to launch games as soon as SLI was enabled.

All my problems were solved as soon as I bought another power supply : the OCZ powers the motherboard, the 2 graphic cards and the other one (LC 550 W) all the stuff (4 HDDs, floppy drive, DVD drive, 6 neons, 4 tri-LEDs, 3 x 120 mm fans, 2 x 92 mm fans). Be careful if you plan buying the PC Power & Cooling 850 W, it is not compliant with the DFI nF4 motherboards. That is why I preferred having 2 power supplies. And this solution is far cheaper than a big one !

OT: how did you setup a 2 PSU system?

I doubt the 11 fans he has will draw 33 amps! You are talking meltdown!

Really, I do understand where you are going with this though, and I think it is excellent advice to unplug some of that stuff until a stable ground is found and then slowly add in the goodies.

On a side note, was it the pcp&c that required some amount of load on the 5v line, and lacking such, they would not provide full power on the 12v line?

I doubt the 11 fans he has will draw 33 amps! You are talking meltdown!

Really, I do understand where you are going with this though, and I think it is excellent advice to unplug some of that stuff until a stable ground is found and then slowly add in the goodies.

On a side note, was it the pcp&c that required some amount of load on the 5v line, and lacking such, they would not provide full power on the 12v line?

3 A are given for 120 mm fans. We don't know what his fans diameters are. And you are right, the 12 V and 5 V lines power the fans. So 3 A is spread one these 2 lines. But really, 11 fans draw much power.

The best would be to appraise the overall systme power with the aforementioned tool and to test the boot without any fans.

I am running the rig in my sig with my CM Stacker fully stacked with fans and have not had any power problems AT ALL. The PC P&C can put this kind of power out all day long! It is a F____ing Arc Welder. Look elsewhere to solve your problems.

Passionne where are you coming up with 3A for fans. Way off it seems to me ,the highest CFM120mm DELTA fan pulls 12.6 or 1.02A a vantec tornado 92mm pulls 12,5w or 1.0 A.........So even if someone was crazy enough to put 11 high output Delta fans in their rig thats only 11.2A and would need to strap the damm thing down to keep it from flying away. hehe :nod: