Sign in to follow this  
Xinil

Can't run SuperPI, who cares and run everything else?

Hey ya'll. I'm new to the forums. I just recently bought a new comp setup and freshly installed XP SP2. My problem is that I'm trying to go through the tutorial mentioned here, but everytime I try running SuperPI it crashes within 5 seconds. I've underclocked my settings, changed them to default, tried dozens of things, and I just cannot get the program to run. I'm running OCCT without a problem though, so I'm wondering if I can just test with that instead of superPi?

Another question. I purchased the Zalman CNPS 9500 for my Opteron 148 (also using Artic Silver 5). This should be perfectly adequate to do some serious overclocking, right? I'm curious because while going through the tutorial (trying to find my Max HTTFSB setting), I'm at 230 HTTFSB and running at about 48C with OCCT. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to go much higher. Seems like a lot of people on here are at 270+ easily. What gives? :(

Btw, I'm a complete overclocking n00b. :)

Oh, I'm using this tutorial too: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Hello, welcome to the forums.

To test for stability, I suggest downloading prime 95, and running it in blend mode.

As far as not being able to run Super PI, that's odd if It runs OCCT ok, but what are your Dram settings? All auto? If that is the case, it is possible that some of your memory timings are off.

As far as temps, I concluded that their is a disparity between temps for opterons based on the steppings.

But I would first, reinstall the HSF to make sure that isn't the problem. How much AS5 did you apply?

Is your 148 a CABYE 0543? What voltage are you running it at?

Heh, where do I check if it's "CABYE 0543"? I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...TC-pr1c3grabb3r

I put on a dab of Artic Silver 5 (recommended amount on their website).

I'll run Prime and check that blend mode option. I'm at 240FSB right now and at about 49C.

I'm doing my "CPU Max" test, so here are my current settings:

Dram Freq: 100 (1/02)

FSB Bus Freq: 240

LDT/FSB Freq Ratio: X 2.5

CPU/FSB Freq Ratio: X 10.0

PCI-E Freq: 102mhz

CPU Vid Control: 1.275v

CPU Vid Special Control: 126%

LDT Volt Control: 1.2

Chip Set Volt: 1.5

Dram Volt: 2.6

OCCT seems to be running stable at this right now. 49C/50C

Thanks for the help! :)

Okay, that's odd. My video card like went on a fritz after a few tests on 240FSB. Set everything in my bios back to default and now it works. Anyone else have this problem?

As for my bios settings too, anyone else with an AMD Opteron 148 (or something else) have any advice?

The videocard problem could of been, because you were running the 102 PCI express bus. I'd just leave it at 100.

To check your cpu stepping, the only way to do so, is remove the heatsink, and look at the top of the processor.

Here are some suggestions I'd try.

Trying using a whole number for your LDT multiplier like 3x.

Since you have an Opteron 148, set the multiplier to 11x so you can use lower HTT.

Try raising both the chipset voltage and the LDT voltage 1 notch above stock.

Indyxc

Trying those changes now. I had my PCI-E Bus at 102 because I believe the tutorial says to increase that value a little bit.

51C with OCCT right now. Only at 10% completed too. Hmm, looks like it's gonna get a bit too hot with these settings. :(

Trying those changes now. I had my PCI-E Bus at 102 because I believe the tutorial says to increase that value a little bit.

51C with OCCT right now. Only at 10% completed too. Hmm, looks like it's gonna get a bit too hot with these settings. :(

That seems very odd, I wouldn't think you'd be hitting those temps right now. Is your heatsink getting good contact on the cpu? Or is it just really warm where you live?

My room is a freakin' furnace, that's for sure. System temp is 50C. Perhaps I need a few more fans in the case and it'll help out my cpu temp?

It's quite aggravating. :(

Edit: As for my CPU and heatsink contact...I can only assume it is. I reapplied artic silver 5 thermal paste after a while to make sure it had the right amount.