Sign in to follow this  
Branjo

Nearly Fried my 9800pro BEWARE !!!

Ok I love this board even though ive only had it 2 days but still it is alot of fun.

But, and this is for new time buyers "like me" with DFI NF3 and I feel I should pass it on. DO NOT CONNECT your ZALMAN CPU or GPU to the motherboards 3 pin fan connectors as I did, with my cpu temps being in the 32-34 range and the mobo temp being below 25 C then my wonderful new board decided to turn off the 3pin connectors meaning my 9800 pro was just heating up and being used and the fans would only have come on when the heat from the GPU of my 9800pro affected the overall system temp which was not gonna happen as i have had the side off all day but only noticed the fan when i pointed my flashlight at it and there wasnt much spinnin going on in there.

The thing is you cant turn off the Quiet fan thing even when your disable it reboot and go back into the BIOS go to PC health and there are all the settings when to turn off the fans and at what temps, but the settings only go as low as 25C and my Zalman on the 9800 was connected to the chassis fan and the system thought well since its under 25 C i can just turn this off...lol

im lucky to be able to write this post from what might of happened. but i thought this needed to be addressed. maybe its my BIOS revision i dunno, im using the latest on DFI.com is there something i should know? because it usually turns out that way ...hehe

And another problem i had was the Dreaded HDD Activity light being constantly lit well it turns out if you use SATA 3 it doesnt do that, but SATA 3 states in the BIOS that it is an internal connector but the safely remove hardware icon still remains.

weird one.... im not expecting an answer on that any time soon guys as i have read alot of posts that just go round in circles about that one

Weird, I always thought the lower connector (and the one near agp slot?, some say it's always on) would turn off at ambient temp <25, the cpu would turn off too if it cpu temp <25.

The trick is to set full on at >25 (because of the fan's startup speed, some might not start if it's >35) for every header, as you cpu will idle over that, but still, your vga should be connected either to that one near the agp slot in case it's really full on, or to a molex. With my thermalright V-1 I use a 3 pin monitor spliter with 4 pin molex for power, as I don't wanna risk uncooled gpu until case heats up everytime I boot up.

If you are using a zalman v700, you'll get some lower gpu temps if you open the pci slot bellow it, mostly when you case is closed.

I haven't used mobo fan headers in years. Always felt the onboard temp control was lacking. I just use a fan controller.

Plenty of threads on the sata ports. Use 3 and 4 if you plan on overclocking. Never had the dreaded hard disk light. Windows sees the Internal sata port as a removable device and I havn't found the work-around yet. When I do I'll post it up.

you should not use onboard fan connectors for gpu or chipset because they are not always on.

May case fan starts only 5-10 min. after startup. OK for case fan, not good for sensitive parts.

I was getting some BSOD and trying to play BF2 just ended with a churning sound and then a crash and all the time my 9800 pro was screaming for some cold air. but its ok now just shows how much it would take before it says "nope no more".

yeah that temp controller needs to have complete disable to it. but its trial and error for me. I have always used the 3 pin connectors for my 3 main fans but ill just run it off the PSU from now on.

So the safely remove hardware is a bit of a mystery then, its things like that which make me nuts. when i disabled the SATA 1+2 because in the bios they read as External then I checked them after a reboot and 3+4 were named 1+2 and they were marked as External

but when you enable them all again 1+2 are External and 3+4 are internal but connecting to either 3 or 4 still brings that little icon to remove em as if they were External.

Now my only concern is my PSU as I heard that 18amps on the 12+ just isnt enough

sometimes when i reboot the G/card gives the monitor warning that no power cable is connected, then i have to either powerdown turn of PSU switch hit the power button to drain any capacitors and then do it again or rearrange the molex connectors but most times thats enough to jump start it again.

over the past year I have spent about $1k on PC parts and if I spend any more im sure my wife will divorce me.

I'm not that keen on the on-board fan headers.

Plugged a Vantec Iceburg into the bottom one and the fan didn't even spin up, so I used a 3pin - 4pin molex adaptor jobby.

Hmm guess I've been lucky. I use the cpu fan header, and the fan header at the bottom of the mobo for the zalman on my gpu and nether one has failed me. Both are consistantly 2700rpm.

Guest ninjastyle

I had a 9800 Pro IceQ die for no apparent reason just a few weeks back. Hell knows what caused it, but bam, it just went without warning. I also have a strange boot issue where if I switch off the PSU at the switch, then turn the PSU back on, hit the power switch on the case, the PC boots but doesn't recognise anything excet the CPU. I press the reset switch once and everything boots as normal.

I dunno what the hell it is. Also a stick of my Ballistix died, wouldn't even run at stock timings without getting millions of errors in Memtest. RMA went well though.

So I have no idea if it's the board causing these problems or what. Sorry to lose the point of the thread, and thanks for the heads up on the fan connectors, I didn't even think about that. I have active cooling on the RAM. This is basically an 80mm fan directed right at the sticks. When I power on the system, the fan doesn't spin real fast and I worry about the RAM becoming hot. The fan is connected to one of the 3 pins on the mobo. Should I power it some other way?

well now my 9800 pro wont play games so i think it has fried. the IDE light is always lit no matter what drives i have installed im slowly losing patients with this board.

yes bro if your worried about cooling as soon as you power on i would put all your fans on a 4 pin to 3 pin molex converter direct from your PSU. thing is when your system is temp is low the mobo shuts off certain 3pin connectors and as the RAM slots arent monitored by a temp then you wouldnt notice it going off or your ram getting to hot.

Was it the NF3 that killed your 9800 and did you have the fan on a 3pin connector?

I bought the 9800 from tigerdirect a year ago but removed the fan a month or two after so does this mean my warranty from ATI is gone? if i put the old fan and heatsink back on would they notice?

Ok so I was flicking through the net last night and i came across an article about adding a second PSU and It seemed very straight forward so i tried it and it worked so now i have 2 PSU's in one mid tower case (took some pics ya's wanna see em)

My G/card was chugging playing BF2 eversince I installed the nf3 and 64 3700 they eat alot of power but I have just completed the second PSU about 40 mins ago and all is well.

the PSU's are identical and have 18A on the 12 volt Rail so 36 amps should be enough?

My only concern is a small one but i had to put the second PSU on the bottom of the case at the back under the 9800 pro with Zalman. so between the zalman and PSU there is about a 10mm Gap, there is plenty of airflow in my case as the delta is blowing in 130 CFM and the 2 80mm are drawing the air out at 32x2=64 CFM then the remaining 66 CFM is being blown out the PCI slots along with the hot air from the second PSU

and to let the heat from the second PSU out i removed all the PCI slot covers on the case and im able to switch it on and off from the back through these slots (one i had to bend but the case, I got 2 of them on ebay for the price of one as the first to arrive had a little dent and the guy sent another and said keep the first....Thanks i will)

so hope fully i have fixed my power problem

the setup is as follows

Primary PSU = Mobo, 9800 pro, 2 x 80mm Fans

Secondary PSU = 1 x SATA, 2 x IDE, 1 x DVDRW, Both Zalman Fans, 1 x Delta 120mm 130CFM and fancy lights

The second PSU must be switched on first but is done quite easily plus it starts the CPU and G/card fans before any power gets to them

Temps are at idle CPU 33C/ PWM IC 24C? SYSTEM 27C

If you hear a fizzle and see a bright blue light followed by the sound of a computer landing on snowy concrete, then something has gone very wrong.