Programs making Pc reboot?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reboots and shutdowns upon opening of the programs that seek information about your motherboard is a knownm issue for the expert motherboards for I have the same problem opening the Sisoft motherboard information and when initializing Speedfan. I am pretty sure the BIOS update will fix this problem. I do not recommend using those programs again. I only use what came with the CD-Smartguardian for monitoring and fan speed controls. I do not need any other software to mess with the fan controls. Since DFI approved the use of the tools and utilities that came with your CD, I just stick to them. However, I never installed nTune software because I heard it could damage your hardware if used unappropriately in the auto overclocking features. I don't crash when playing Half Life 2, Counter Strike, nor War Craft 3.

Good to hear that im not the only person with the rebooting from gathering info bug...

I always thought there was a feature in bios which could be enabled or disabled in order to stop this from happening. I thought it was a feature designed to stop bios viruses or unauthorised programs from accessing the bios to cause damage. However after my research on this topic, i came up with nothing...

I am currently running the 25/11/2005 driver, and it didnt solve that problem yet. Does this DFI-Street site/forum have any connetctions within the DFI company to inform them about issues like this. It seems with a forum like this, it would be the key place to go to gain information on their own products....

I wouldn't really worry up to that extent, but I know how you feel. I also get frustrated when things don't work perfectly as it is expected to. I guess DFI is far from being perfect at even the smallest issues. But the rebooting when opening such programs seems to be an excellent built-in security feature that they added and I think it is very good idea to do that like protecting the product serial numbers and etc.

This isnt a problem with the powersupply, CPU, Ram etc..

Its a problem with the SMbus. Any program that attempts to access the SMBus on this motherboard ie.. Sandra, Speedfan, MBM (unless you use the NF4 settings).. I think that DFI did something a little non standard, anytime a program accesses it, instant reboot.

Ok, got the PSU today (silverstone 650 watt) and changed my ram into orange slots...

Booting up, it goes around 100% faster into windows, testing all my games, NONE of them crashed, and copied over 40gig worth of files, and no network crash...

It seems that either the PSU or the RAM in orange slots has done the trick, this mobo has never been more stable in its life.

Thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Am just about to flash to the new 12/07/2005 bios that came out this morning.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Spazilton is right, with Speedfan, all you have to do is add "/NOSMBSCAN" to your shortcut. As with SiSandra, right click on the module, for example "Mainboard Information" and tick off "Include DMI/SMBIOS Information" under "Module Options". I too had both Apps crashing my machine before but they're both fine now.

• 4 months later...

The only thing on the Mainboard Info that appears to have an issue is the "Include Temperature, Show Fan Speeds & Voltages Information".

If this is enabled, it just turned my nF4 SLI DR Expert based rig clean off. No "Windows is shutting down" screen, It just turned itself off. Include DMI/SMBIOS Information is NOT an issue on the nF4 SLI DR Expert board.

I would add, there appear to be lots of problems with some of the nF4 SLI DR Expert boards. I have had to RMA 4 of them for having Undervolt Issues with known Good & Very capable PSU's. Your 5V rail is very important RE hard drives & certain Maxtor Hard drives have issues on the nF4 Chipset. I have witnesed this myself despite using 3 of these Mechanisms myself. I have 2 x Maxtor MaxLine III NCQ 250GB 7V250F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache Striped on 4 K Clusters on the South Bridge Headers & 1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6V250F0 SATA-II 16MB as a Single Stripe on the South Bridge too. Trying to set 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 80GB 6V080E0 SATA-II 8MB was quite simply "No-Go" & is down to the Firmware Maxtor used on these drives. Apparently you can request the firmware from Maxtor, but they are not ever making it publically available. There may also be issues with other Maxtor Drive models, but I wont be buying Maxtor again unless they are willing to support the people that buy their Products. I find this kind of attitude in the Industry quite Appauling to say the least.

My Rig is nF4 SLI DR Expert, Opteron 175 @ 310fsb 10X Multiplier under a Vapo XEII, Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4400 Pro TwinX (2x1GB) in Orange Slots (read the manual folks) @ 1:1 on 180 Mem Setting with 3.1V up its butt, 2 x Gainward BLISS Geforce 7900 GT "Golden Sample" 512MB @ 640/750 in SLI & un-modded atm;

Dare I say Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU, but will be replaced tommorow with a PC P&C Quad SLI 1K PSU, SB Audigy 2 Platinum Pro, 2 x DVD Bruners, Floppy Drive, 3 Case Lights & a 120mm Front Case fan. Also the Hard Drives set up as above.

Fear runs 1600 x 1200 MAXXED out for 7 hours...god my eyes were bleeding but this thing sits here 24/7 if I need it to. I only tried to suss SiSoft this morning (UK Time) and enhanced on what I'd read on this thread.

I hope my findings & example of Rig Config is of some use to others. Best of luck folks. :)

*edit* I'd be more than happy to offer any help to anyone having issues with the nF4 SLI DR Expert board, 4 faulty boards out of 5 is also quite disgusting. The worse thing was, the first board I had is the one i use now. I gave up trying to build another SLI DR Expert based rig after 5 weeks of hell & 4 totally Borked & Undervolting mainboards. Again, quite sad tbh. Chinas cheap labour would appear to be showing it's true colours in a lot of areas of the IT Industry & Graphic cards seem to be suffering horrendously. I could go on, but I dont fancy Auditioning for a new age "Victor Meldrew" only half way through my life. :nod:

I forgot to add, take the same Setting OFF for CPU & Bios Information, everything else is fine. ;)