First Build EVER!!

Wuuzy

Hi, I've recently been persuaded to build a computer since the 3 yr old computer that's in my house is kinda crapping out on me. My friends have recommended these parts listed in my signature and I primarily want to use the computer for gaming. World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2 and such. I've also just learned that overclocking existed and my friends told me that dfi was great for that. Do these parts check out? Will they work together? Will the motherboard pose any threat to a noob like me cuz it kinda looks intimidating. Do these things usually fire up on the first go?

Thanks alot for any input

All looks good though have seen few problems with that PSU I would get either the enermax as in my sig or if you like antec get the 550watt much better than what you have listed. Other wise looks solid .good luck on your build

wow i wish i had the kinda money for a rig like that. I was somewhat worried about being able to handel this board at first. I was new to OC'ing myself, and ther were several people (not here) saying this is really only for people who know what they are doing. I had no trouble getting it going the first time. If you are unsure or run into trouble you will certainly be able to find help here. I know a while back they had a tread up with some "first time setup" instructions, not sure if it's still up. I found a good way to get started was to look through the OC data base and try to find someone with a similar setup (cpu/ram most important) and try their settings as a starting point.

thanks for the comments guys im really looking forward to this. I kinda wanted to stick with the smartpower becuz it was low priced, modular, and it was on the list of psus on this forum. Is there really alot of trouble caused by this psu? if so, could u guys refer me to another modular, moderately priced psu?

Also, this ddr500 thing is confusing me. Everyone says that i should get it becuz i wanna over clock but do u just plug it in and it runs at ddr 500? or do u have to change some stuff up b4 it works?? Cuz the mobo specs say that the ddr standard is ddr400... :P

Thanks alot

yes you will have to change settings in the BIOS to overclock you cpu and ram. There are overclocking guides on the forums here. They will tell you what settings do what, which ones to change for better performance or stability, and how to test your pc for stability. You can probably even do a google search for "overclocking guide" or "overclocking how-to" for additional info. I would say deffinately read some stuff before you just go in and start changing settings.

Most of the time if you choose settings that are too fast for you pc it will just restart/reset itself, due to instability, before it ruins any of you hardware. Still better to know what you are doing to be sure nothing gets messed up.

Goodluck with the build

DFI-Street OC guide

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

Initial build guide

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

This is your first build? with those componets your gonna get quite a performance boost.

then you missed the years of the celeron 400Mhz flying machine...once lol

like a friend of mine had never used dialup, he went straight to 4 mb cable.

I had to say that untill you expirience Dialup you cant appreiciate cable and its the same with your first build. your going for top notch straight off ..very expensive stratagey.

but hey if i had the money id do it too. Best of luck to ya

What are you using now ie B4 you get the new rig?

like... a p4 2.66ghz, 224MB of no name ram ( is that even possible? 224?) :confused: and some other crpa i dont even know what the names are and the optical drives dont even work. :P

Is the power supply ok??

Thanks

About your power supply: The thing is that no one is going to be able to say, for sure, that it is going to give you problems. The power supply, and ram, that is running my rig, is not recomended for DFI. However, I had no problems what so ever. Others have not been so lucky. You can go ahead and use that power supply, but try not to get too mad when you need to go out and get a different one lol.