Sign in to follow this  
pablo

cant setup windows

i just installed my new expert and go to install windows and thens it happens. i format and then it copies files to the drive, then reboots in 15 seconds.. this is normal. then it reboots and the windows logo comes up then its suppose to go into the setup, but doesnt the screen stays black and the hdd light goes steady as if its doing something but nothing happens. i checked all the cables and they are good but i cant figure this out.

i wouldn't be too certain about the 'good' cables. the cables supplied with dfi are very cheesy. one expert i set up had one of the ends fall off the cable before i even got a chance to plug it in.

Since you have several DFI based boards in your sig I won't bother with the usual questions about power connections, latest BIOS and all the other common replies.

I'd suggest getting Tmod's boot disk (iso) and checking your hard drive. Run the appropriate HD diagnostic tool on your drive and see if it reports any errors (make sure you do ALL the tests, not just the quickies). If the HD utility doesn't report any errors, look for a low level format option (if it is available), if a LL Format isn't a valid option on the utility, I'd suggest using the kill disk program (also included in TMod's boot disk) to write zeros to the ENTIRE hard drive any try your Windoze installation again.

Good Luck, and be sure to keep us updated.

Regards,

if the cables were bad then i dont think it would go thru all the formating and cpying files. ( atleast i think)

On the reformatt with the new board, are you using a recent build of Xp? Or an older one?

Also make sure the time is correct in your bios, I have had that screw up installs on newer builds, also on an older build, like pre sp1, try setting your clock BACK if its current.

Also you did a full format? Installing on a C partition or otherwise?

i havent tried the clock yet, and yes i did a full format installing on a c partition. nothing seems to work im going to try the clock. oh and yep its a recent build sp2.

well i tried everything and still cant install windows. now i wont boot past the logo so im going to return this damn board. never had a problem with a dfi baord until now.

Always check memory on that situation, even though it is unlikely that it is the culprit. Just check it with a good, known-working stick for sake of canceling it out.

yeah i tried everything including the memory and nothing seems to work. im just going to exchange it and go from there

Actually before that...

I now read your siggy fully...

Remove all PCI cards, including your SB Audigy card. basically, have nothing but your vid card, RAM, processor & hard drives when you do the "install."

Last week on an nf4 board, I had your same problem, and removing the PCI cards fixed it. I was able to plug them back in after the load and everything worked fine. Plus, PCI card removal is always the first step in diagnostics with software.

Don't give up...just yet.