Sign in to follow this  
newls1

Caring for my 2x1GB ballistix PC4000 RAM???

I've only been a member here for like 4 months now, but have been reading posts on here for a long time. I see alot of people saying there Ballistix ram failed, fried, pc wont boot now, etc........ I have been (so far) problem free with my 2x1GB sticks of ballistix since I've bought them back in august. Is there anything I can do to prevent my RAM for "possibly" becoming defective? I've ran this ram as hard as 270FSB 1:1 @ 2.80v, and the ram has always had a fan cooling them, and the heatspreaders AT MOST, just get slightly warm to the touch.

Guest ninjastyle

Nothing you can do except make sure your cooling stays where it is, this is very important, and try not to push voltages too high. For Ballistix, I'm sticking with 2.8V no matter what, everything else nets minimal gains, and 2.8V should take you as far as the sticks really want to go. Don't stress them unnecessarily or get greedy with an OC.

One thing you can do is have some peace of mind -- Crucial have probably the best RMA service of any company on the planet earth. Good luck. :)

Guest Crusader

Right now I lowered my VDIMM to 2.58 in the BIOS because I notice that my VDIMM rises (in SmartGuardian) when my system is under load. I want to run my sticks on 2.60V and see that it now varies between 2.58 and 2.64 under load but hey it works flawless until now so I just leave it this way for now. I really want to give these sticks as little voltage as possible but still be able to run them at 265Mhz since reading all these horrorstories.

I know that SmartGuardian is not the best way to measure the voltage but I don't wanna mess around with a DMM (which I don't have anyway).

I've also managed to attach the 120mm fan to the ATX connectorside of my Ninja cooler so it blows some air over the memory. So far so good.

EDIT: changed memory FSB

Yeah I've heard all the horror storries too, but somehow I decided not to listen on that ear. The people who said the Ballistix chips worked fine really convinced me more than the people saying it didn't work properly.

When I hear people complaining about computer parts not working I just don't buy everything they say, as if it only was a hardware problem, as the fault could have been introduced by improper handling or anything else along the way to the end-user. (In this field there are plenty of more horror stories than the random complaints about Ballistix on different forums).

With this I am not saying every Ballistix who has been faulty has been due to the improper handling by end-user (sure, hardware do fail and every manufacturer has a fail-procentage of everything they make), but like I said I personally havn't been too convinced all these chips were faulty from the factory.

I came across this link about harddrives that point at some of these things.

My 2GB kit of Ballistix PC4000 do work great with my brand new DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D motherboard. It worked from scratch, I put the kit in the orange-slots (is it #2 and 4#?.. it's the ones closest to the processor...) and it booted up no problems with the bios from factory.

Went in to bios, loaded optimized defaults, and saved and rebooted. I was working great at stock speed, and I had no problems what-so-ever running these Ballistix at 500MHz (250MHz FSB, 1:1 ratio) with timings of 3-4-4-8 and a voltage of 2.8v.

I then decided I wanted to try a newer bios version. The one I had earlier was one of the 300-series bioses (I have to get back to you about this, I have it writen down somewhere).

After flashing with the 623-3 bios from Tmods awsome nF4 Bios Flash CD v6.0, I pulled power and the battery and cleared the CMOS (The official DFI way) and then loaded optimized defaults and the system was working flawlessly.

With these Ballistix I can run DDR572 (FSB 286 on ratio 1:1) at 3.0-4-4-10 1T 2.8v on this 623-3 bios. I think I probably could do 3.0-3-3-8 1T with 2.8v also but memory-fine tuning isn't what I'm doing at the moment, I will check this out later on, I'm focusing on the CPU right now.

Maybe I got my system up and running flawlessly from the start due to fixes in the new bioses that has been made after people have had trouble getting DFI boards to work with Ballistix (I really don't know, I'm a first-time DFI user, and this is my first post on dfi-street), but if it is many thanks to DFI for fixing it!

I have to say this forum is very informative, and the support DFI is giving is just great. Keep up the good work Angry, RGone, OCZTony, Tmod and everyone else making things happen in the DFI community.

Lowering the Voltage shouldn't be required. This RAM is dead-on specified for 2.8 V. And it is not specified for anything less.

I highly doubt that heat is actually the cause of the recent flood of broken Ballistix. Microchips with the current manufacturing processes can usually live fine up to 60 or 65 degrees C. Unless the heatholder err heatspreader is designed entirely braindead I doubt that the temperature really exceeds safe limits.

Since most of the broken Ballistix seems to be clumbed around a certain buy period the theory that there's a broken batch out there is much more likely.

The best thing for now would be to put a thermal probe on these things and report what it is saying for various volts and during load in a closed case.

Martin:

You could be right, I am not well educated on the subject really. This was my personal feeling after reading many of the posts of people having trouble with this memory. It still didn't convince me not to buy them :)

Bought them approximately 2 weeks ago and they are both batch CL1115V.5Z

2x1gbballistixpc4000pic020ud.th.jpg

I am currently undervolting my processor, and I am at [email protected] = 1846MHz with load temps at 33C with stock heatsink and fan.

To be on the safe side I have lowered the DRAM voltage from 2.8 to 2.6, and I am running memory at the lowest divider for this board.. instead of 200 (1:1) it's at 100 (1:2?).

This is to not run to much voltage from the memory to the memory controller on the CPU, when the CPU voltage is as low as 1.025v. Otherwise I wouldn't run this low voltage for the RAM, as it is specified to run 2.8v.

Dunno the temps of the RAM though... have no temp sensor I can use. But they aren't as hot as when I run them on 2.8v (Touching the heatspreader with my finger)

Guest ninjastyle
With this I am not saying every Ballistix who has been faulty has been due to the improper handling by end-user (sure, hardware do fail and every manufacturer has a fail-procentage of everything they make), but like I said I personally havn't been too convinced all these chips were faulty from the factory.

making things happen in the DFI community.

You're right. It isn't the chips, the problem is PCB related, and that piece of info came from Crucial themselves. You should also note that Balliistix is failing on all kinds of boards, not just within the DFI community. The bad batch number for these dead Ballistix is CL1115x.xx. Many people see them fail with stock voltage and timings.

You're right. It isn't the chips, the problem is PCB related, and that piece of info came from Crucial themselves. You should also note that Balliistix is failing on all kinds of boards, not just within the DFI community. The bad batch number for these dead Ballistix is CL1115x.xx. Many people see them fail with stock voltage and timings.

Note taken.

Mine is CL1115x.xx, and opterating within specification :shake:

Curious where you picked up on the bad batch being PCB related?

For what it's worth, one batch I had was CL1115N.J3 and failed within 4 weeks. Current batch I am using is CL1115Y.P9 and works great so far.

Forums, such as these, are for the dissemination of information gained from actual expierence. When a trend of similar information begins to show, one should take note and proceed accordingly.