Sign in to follow this  
zerone

RAID 0 F: drive problem

Hi, I am new here and this is my first built. Thanks to all the info in this forum, I managed to get my first build up and running smoothly and now I have Windows XP Pro installed and running.

However, in windows, I realized my local drive is F: :confused: and not the normal C: that everyone has. Since I have no prior experience on RAID 0 configuration, is this normal or unusual? If not, how can I change it back to C:?

My other drives are:

C: and D: is a removable drive

E: is my DVD RAM drive

F: is my local drive of size 309Gb (this shows the RAID 0 is working)

Thank you for any help.

Not normal for it to set it as F and no way to change the Boot drive Letter. Did you have any USB devices connected during windows install?

Edit: Just seen your card reader. Disconnect before you install windows..

Not normal for it to set it as F and no way to change the Boot drive Letter. Did you have any USB devices connected during windows install?

Edit: Just seen your card reader. Disconnect before you install windows..

No USB connections yet. During the installation, only the CRT is connected externally.

Is it save to redo the RAID configuration again? i.e. will I experience any problem on doing so?

Be sure to remove all other hard drives when you install XP. This will make sure that the raid array is designated "C:". If I try to install XP on my RAID array with any other drive attached, the RAID array will not be assigned C:

Good luck!

no way to change the Boot drive Letter.

Incorrect. Simply Right Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management

Then Right Click on the Drive you would like to change.

**Note: You cannot change the drive to a letter already in use.

So, just name all your drives later in the alphabet (ex: w,x,y,z) then start renaming them how you want.

Incorrect. Simply Right Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management

Then Right Click on the Drive you would like to change.

**Note: You cannot change the drive to a letter already in use.

So, just name all your drives later in the alphabet (ex: w,x,y,z) then start renaming them how you want.

That won't work for the BOOT DRIVE (as the other poster said) - try it if you don't beleive me... ;)

I ran into the same issue as the OP here several times - damn stupid card readers hehe! As someone else said, make sure they're disconnected and reinstall the OS - that is the only way to change your boot drive letter unfortunately.

Using a program like partition magic may be able to change it. Some of the changes you do with this program, requires a restart, which may allow it, but I may be wrong, and probably am, since someone stated this as "fact".