Sign in to follow this  
Crappyone

SLI Infinity just a scaled down...???

Is the SLI Infinity just a scaled down version of the SLI-D? Which is a scaled down SLI-DR?

I noticed that they are basically the same just some with more options then others.

I would like an SLI board, but I don't want 8 on board audio channels, nor do I care for an extra LAN card/jack, nor do I care if the baord has UV reactive slots.

Here are some of the differences that there are:

Component-----SLI-DR Expert-----SLI-DR----------SLI-D----------------SLI-Inifinty

PCIEx16 slots---------2-------------2------------2-------------------2

PCIEx1-----------------1-----------------1-------------1-------------2

XtraPCIE ""-----------x4---------------x4-------------x4-----------x4

SATA--------------------II----------------II--------------I-------------II

SATARAID----NV 0/1/0+1<----------Same<-------------Same-----------0/1/0+1

XtraSATA--------4xSATAI-----------4xSATAI---------NONE---------NONE

XtraSATARAID--------0/1/0+1/5----------0/1/5--------NONE--------NONE

XtraRaidCtrllr------------Sil 3114---------Sil 3114--------NONE-------NONE

AudioChip------Karajan---------RealtekALC850<---------Same-----------AC97 Codec

AudioChnnls------8---------------1w/8;1w/6---------------8-----------------6

LANChips--------2--------------2-----------------2---------------1

RearUSB--------6--------------6-----------------6---------------4

OnboardUSB-------4-------------4--------------4----------------6

They all have same NB Chip. The SLI-Infinity doesn't have yellow slots and whatnot. Those are UV reactive right? Seems like the Infinity is the Basic Bottom of line SLI board for DFI. So I guess my question is. Besides all these extras these boards have or don't have, are the all basically gonna perform the same? Well 1 difference I noticed is the SATA RAID. All of the Good boards are NV RAID and the Infinity is only RAID. Is the NV a nvidia thing? Does it help? Any other input or advice you guys/gals would like to give...shoot. Thanks a bunch. I have to get some ZZZzzzzz's. Have school bright and early.

You cannot judge a book by the cover. If you want the real highperformance you need to go with the LanParty series.

RGone...

From what I understand about the Infinity series they are a no frills version of the Lan Party. The Lan Party series has all the bells lights & whistles. All the options in the bios for overclocking & the like. The Infinity boards have fewer options in the bios for that 10/10ths percentile overclockability like the Lan Party has.

The boards are laid out a bit different than the Lan Parties are also. In the twin PCI-E version the PCI-E slots are widened so it is easier to use water cooling blocks.

There are articles to read out there if you do a google search.

Here is an article from Anandtech.com. A VERY respected hardware review site that i've been going to for years.

check it out & make your own mind .. :-)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548&p=3

Picked up an Infinity SLI board today at Microcenter for $111. All reviews I've read say it uses pretty much the identical bios of the Lanparty boards, with the exceptions of a few higher voltage options that most people (like me) would be too freaked out to go up to anyway :).

Gonna try to get it installed tomorrow, should be a lot better than the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 board I currently have, at least as far as being able to OC my Opteron 146. I'm contemplating exchanging it for the Ultra-D board that's $40 more, but I think I'll be happy with this one, even based on the Anandtech review.

All reviews I've read say it uses pretty much the identical bios of the Lanparty boards

then those reviewers should be fired as they have not really taken a look at both bioses side-by-side, nor do they take into account how the NF4 Lanparty boards were designed all the way from trace lengths for TCCD/BH-5 optimization on the Lanparty to the better power regulation...so I would be careful reading reviews from them...

then those reviewers should be fired as they have not really taken a look at both bioses side-by-side, nor do they take into account how the NF4 Lanparty boards were designed all the way from trace lengths for TCCD/BH-5 optimization on the Lanparty to the better power regulation...so I would be careful reading reviews from them...

So you would say the Infinity is not a good board for $111? I installed it late last night, was able to get my Opteron 146 up to 2.9, Primed it for about 11 hours. Seems good so far, but of course don't want to get stuck with a board that might be potentially problematic over time. I'm not even sure what "designed all the way from trace lengths for TCCD/BH-5 optimization" means, but I wanna know if this is a really subpar board, which I wouldn't normally think DFI would release.

It's not sub-par, it fills its duty as a no-frills board. If you want to be able to pump out every little bit of speed from both your cpu and ram then you need a lanparty.