Chipset fan dying?

So yesterday, my chipset fan started emitting a really loud whine....now it's making all sorts of bad noises and visibly grinding/slowing down and speeding up a bit and slowing down visibly even...

I'm guessing it's on it's last legs? Or is there a common fix for this what must be moderately common problem?

If it's dead, can anyone recommend a good low-lying replacement?...I'd love to integrate it into my WC'ing set-up, but don't know of any waterblocks that would fit really (and are 1/2" barbs and easily available in U.S.)...

That's the evercool VC-RE, I believe jab-tech.com sells it. You have to bend it a little in order to fit. The Vantec Iceberg copper vga chipset fits also (not the pro version). I think people on this forum recommend the vc-re.

I had this same problem and I thought my fan was dying. My mobo was only 2 months old at that time. I discovered that it was my X800XL card being brushed by the fan blade.

To fix it, I took a credit card and slowly pushed it between the fan and card, and it gave it just enough clearance. Give it a shot.

It's weird...the fan seems to be almost loose on its spindle or axis or whatever the proper term would be. In that I can physicall push on the middle section, feel it lower a couple millimeters, and it will spin fine for a few second before the force of the air sort've pushes it back up on it's spindle....sigh....

I'll double check the clearance, but I'm pretty sure it's clear. Also, I was looking a long time ago at some chipset coolers, like the passive big blue (aluminum?) one...from I think, um, Vantec? Required some modificcations, but looked like it could be made to fit?...

In any case, I'll check out the fan described....

Nope, it's got clearance for sure. It's just a dead little crappy fan is all, I guess (anyone seen the condition the bottom of it is in!...yeesh).

Planning on WC'ing it I guess, if I can figure out a block that will fit, and is in the U.S., and has 1/2" fittings....any suggestions?

You have to bend it a little in order to fit.

Do you mean I would have to bend the fins? Any other modding required? Are there any other coolers that fit without modding?

Well now I definately need a new fan, it just died and chipset temp went up to 70C, So now I am writing this on a PII 333mhz 384mb ram :cool: . DFI tech support said that I could use a third party cooler without voiding my warranty, as long as it doesn't damage any other components.