Sign in to follow this  
Raphie

4GB club

yeah lol... windows gets really annoying lots of times... at least once a week i have to kill explorer and restart it in the task manager... Simply unstable and bad management of resources, it sucks that im stuck using it because the rest of the world is and all my apps arnt on linux. My 4 year old debian server running on an old POS computer puts this one to shame sometimes in terms of stability...

lol... YOU RUN OUT OF ADDRESSING SPACE! not saying your write bad code, but comon now.... we run PTC modeling here at work, on a p4 ht 2.8 ghz with 512 mb ram...

I'm a software engineer by profession and I write data aquition software for industrial and research ultrasound equipment.

But anyways, I WANT 4gb as well....

I agree with you that most applications do not need that much address space. Most CAD systems work with rigid objects, which do not need large amount of memory to represent them. As the product complexity increases, the CAD file increases as well, so do the RAM. I've worked on a 10Gb CAD file for a complete assembly. It was slow as hell even on a super computer at work.

My application is in biomedical modeling and simulation now. Believe me, it easily takes more than 4Gb storage to have a good 3D resolution for my model. I can use more than 4Gb RAM if I can afford it. I think 4Gb RAM+virtual memory is a good compromise.

Most users here use the DFI board as game stations. There is nothing wrong about it. It is fun stuff. With the new found dual core CPU, RAID SATA HD and relatively fast graphic card, I use my PC as an affordable workstation. But who say I cannot play some games some of the time :nod: ?

Since more of us now have 4GB, i though let's start the 4GB+ Club :D

Tell me what mem you have and if you're happy with it....

OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 1024MB Gold Edition Dual Channel (2GB)

Happy with it, though XP32 only sees 3GB (i don't want to go back to SP1 :P )

However my XP x64 + Suse 10 both address the full 4GB :shake:

I have just got my 2nd 2Gb RAM modules so that I can setup full 4GB configuration. I quickly plug the 2Gb modules in last night and found the BIOS can only detect 3070MB in total. I've checked the new RAM modules by themselves with memory test to ensure they are good. So my question is, do I need to change some settings in the BIOS before it can see 4GB?

Any help will be appreciated.

I agree with you that most applications do not need that much address space. Most CAD systems work with rigid objects, which do not need large amount of memory to represent them. As the product complexity increases, the CAD file increases as well, so do the RAM. I've worked on a 10Gb CAD file for a complete assembly. It was slow as hell even on a super computer at work.

My application is in biomedical modeling and simulation now. Believe me, it easily takes more than 4Gb storage to have a good 3D resolution for my model. I can use more than 4Gb RAM if I can afford it. I think 4Gb RAM+virtual memory is a good compromise.

Most users here use the DFI board as game stations. There is nothing wrong about it. It is fun stuff. With the new found dual core CPU, RAID SATA HD and relatively fast graphic card, I use my PC as an affordable workstation. But who say I cannot play some games some of the time :nod: ?

now i see what you are talking about.... the cad files that we work with at work are very small and non-complex, ie small cases and assemblies for industrial ultrasound, mounting brackets and transducer cases. this makes sense and now i see that you could mose def use all your ram.. sorry i doubted... ;) :angel:

sli-dr_bios3.jpg

PCI MMIO hole needs to be enabled for 3GB+

(windows will still only see 3GB unless you have Windows 64-bit versions)

Thank you for the info. It works very well. Now I can see the whole 4GB RAM and have run the memory test whole night without error. My next step is to install Windows x64 as dual boot.

Thank you.

now i see what you are talking about.... the cad files that we work with at work are very small and non-complex, ie small cases and assemblies for industrial ultrasound, mounting brackets and transducer cases. this makes sense and now i see that you could mose def use all your ram.. sorry i doubted... ;) :angel:

You are absolutely welcome.

As you can see from my previous post, I am now running 4GB in my system so I've just joined this 4GB club.

the amd rig i built for our office last june is running 4 gigs of ram running with a FX-53 chip, and we do tons of photoshop work with 3 gig files in 16 bit....that is some serious data crunching!

been a memeber of the 4 gig club for a year and a half.

Well, sign me up too... :rolleyes: I, like others can get my BIOS to see em all; I'm just waiting on Big Bill to let me use em all with SP2... :P I can't seem to get all 4 to pass memtest. Always get about 8 errors 98% of the way through test 5... both pairs will pass in either set of slots, it's just when I put all 4 in at the same time. Oblivion doesn't seem to like all 4 either. :confused: time to test one stick at a time. :D

Hey... what's wrong with my sig? :confused: It should be 640x298 which is less than 650x300... :( O, "F" Vista, I've tried it. It will see and use all 4 gigs, but no RAID, SLi, and I can't seem to get it to connect to a network, at home, or here at work... I give a big finger to Big Bill... :shake:

Ok question time, just recently purchased 2gigs to add to my system, and i have come across some $$$ and i need to know if it would be more worthwhile to add 2gigs more to make 4gigs or to buy something like a 7600 gt or something for graphics?

Thank You.