Sign in to follow this  
Raphie

4GB club

Another happy 4G member here, a graphics professional who doesn't beleive in "workstations" (sorry AG)

I need bang for buck and multiple render boxes.

But 2GB is more than enough for 99% percent of users. Hell, the 3.5G I can use is just perfect for what I need, although would like about 8G. :eek:

Pesky images, they just get bigger....

Memory is like horsepower- people always want more. And when you tasted more you can never go back.

Hopefully with Vista and the continued development of XP64 the current tech issues with 4 gig machines will taken care of.

2 gig here though (although I am running 2x1 so I have the option in the future!).

:)

I don't want to spoil my won part, but i've encountered some serious issues running 4GB @ 250Mhz.

To make a long story short: it's not stable @ 250Mhz. (my keyboard issues above are mem issues) i found out the hard way when windows didn't want to install and trashing my RAID stripe on NVraid at the same time. With 4GB i needed to go back to 200Mhz (= STOCK :eek: ) and according to Marcus from OCZ i should already be happy to have that achieved. phhhh :sad:

i seriously have to rethink my 4GB plans now:

- AMD memory controller can't handle 4GB double sided @ 250Mhz

- 2T oppossed to 1T differs roughly 20% (at least in the benchmarks)

- System can't OC (2000 instead of 2500)

Not sure i am willing to run @ 200Mhz (then i could have bought 4x pc3200 1GB @ tighter timings)

thinking of swapping this 2nd kit back for a ehhmmm 7800GTx or something? :cool: seems to give me more (especially with Farcry / quake 4 / doom 3

Thoughs please guys.....

Wish I had 4gigs of ram sometimes :)

if you NEED 4GB, you shouldn't be using a regular motherboard, you should be using a professional workstation and an OS that can see all 4GB (and probably dual cpu's and dual pro graphics cards etc)

While I disagree with this though, I can see more so with a general crowd with little knowledge to how a PC works and such that should be using a workstation board. Agree with using an OS that can see it, basically making you go to XP-64.

One thing I will disagree with though, professional graphic cards. I know Maya a 3D Modeling/Animation program uses these cards, and I could see using it for this reason. Other then that standard Gaming cards work just as fine and even better for the cost difference between the 2 cards. But dual graphics cards in a workstation has little to zero affect on how it preformes in the application currently since theres no drivers that support it. Crossfire might change this but nVidia ones currently do not support it.

I hereby have to leave the club :sad: , 4GB did not run stable @ 250Mhz. both 2T AND going back in FSB was a bit too much of a sacrifice (limitations of the AMD memory controller) so i decided to exchange my 2nd kit for a (TaaDaa....) XFX 7800-GT 256mb :D

just installed the baby, going to do some benchies now :nod:

I am new to this game but I shall join this club very shortly to add another 2Gb to my memory. I have my first built PC running just yesterday evening.

I think everyone has his/her own reason to go 4Gb as long as you know what you are spending your money for :rolleyes: . (If you don't, who cares! It's your money :D )

I build my 64bit PC is to run modeling and simulation programs that I develop myself. I need more than 4Gb to store my variables. I have a P4 3.2GHz system with 2Gb RAM. I have exceeded the 32 bit addressing capabilities (4Gb) provided by Intel P4 a few months ago. With the AMD system and Windows XP x64 will allow my program to see beyond physical RAM limit by paging out the virtual memory to HD. This will solve my out-of-memory problem that I have encountered in my P4 system. By adding more memory, it will reduce the overall run time of my simulation program because of less memory swapping operations are required with the slower hard drive. In my application, the more RAM the better. I don't mind dropping from 1T to 2T. It is still faster than paging out to HD.

Angry_Games is still right. Serious users should use workstation board instead. But everything is a compromise when money is involved. I am not too sure about the cost/benefit ratio for workstation boards. I think my current rig may have achieved the optimal solution already between what I want and what I can afford.

lol... YOU RUN OUT OF ADDRESSING SPACE! not saying your write bad code, but comon now.... we run PTC modeling here at work, on a p4 ht 2.8 ghz with 512 mb ram...

I'm a software engineer by profession and I write data aquition software for industrial and research ultrasound equipment.

But anyways, I WANT 4gb as well....

With 32 bit OSes you actually run out of addressing space at 2 GB virtual memory in some versions of Windows, at 3 GB in other Windows versions, FreeBSD and most Linux versions and 4 GB in some versions of Linux.

And yes, I battle with that constantly, too :mad:

I have 2x1gb and what sucks is in windows when you get the message "windows cannot create any more windows"... I like to leave everything open (why i got a lot of ram) but windows doesnt seem to like to allow that. When I get this message i usually have at least 800mb free... Hopefully vista will fix this, or is there a hack out there that anyone knows?

I have 2x1gb and what sucks is in windows when you get the message "windows cannot create any more windows"... I like to leave everything open (why i got a lot of ram) but windows doesnt seem to like to allow that. When I get this message i usually have at least 800mb free... Hopefully vista will fix this, or is there a hack out there that anyone knows?

No, unrelated. You mix up virtual and physical memory.

First thing is to add a decent paging file.

I have 3 2gb paging files on each of my hard drives...

Well, then it is just one of the situations that made me go Unix 16 years ago :)