Sign in to follow this  
frank white

Gaming lcd!?

nice to see that peeps are using lcds now and i have noticed they are so much easier on the eyes the extra hundred bucks would be savings at the eye dr and lenses lol

Just picked up the Samsung 940B 3 weeks ago based on advice from this forum. Crushes my CRT in both clarity and picture quality. No ghosting, nothing. Can't find anything to complain about with this montor and I was a die-hard CRT guy.

Guest Crusader
Samsung Syncmaster 930BF, it's got a 4ms response time and i cannot see any ghosting whatsoever, and the quality of the picture and colours is amazing :)

Agreed, seems to be the TFT that's most popular amongst gamers.

for the ones nice to enough to just help... thanks for all the advice and info,

For the others.. "following the rules"... Im not asking for tech support so what is there needed to know? Second, ummm maybe you can read or perhaps not since it says "system packed, looking to build another".. Not self explanatory? My mistake, since Im a "p.o.g." and maintain the Longbow electronics/weapons/avionics I am used to people having the ability to THINK.

lol please lets all just get along maybe you can have a mystery system and everyone will be happy. wel have a MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone sick of being politically correct happy holidays

The dell one is very good but some peopel dont need/like widescreen.

the viewsonic vp930b (i believe) is also a really good monitor.

lots of monitors advertise 3/4/8 ms response times but there not always true so you cant always go by that.

for the ones nice to enough to just help... thanks for all the advice and info,

For the others.. "following the rules"... Im not asking for tech support so what is there needed to know? Second, ummm maybe you can read or perhaps not since it says "system packed, looking to build another".. Not self explanatory? My mistake, since Im a "p.o.g." and maintain the Longbow electronics/weapons/avionics I am used to people having the ability to THINK.

Frank,

I'm using the FPW2005 for BattleField2, CS:S, FarCry, and some occasional pRon DVD movies. I'm very happy with it. If you can get the 2005 for under 400 from Dell, _see sticky_ , you should do OK for at least 3-4 years. About the 930B, they are hard to come by for under 400, but people swear by them! It's a real toss up. You would have to go to a Lan Party and get a side-by-side look at them. One or the other, they do look good. The 2005 (1680x1050 pixels) is very taxing on vid cards, a 6800 is required if you want to 'max' out the video settings. The 930B (1280x1024 pixels) you can comfortably drive with a 6600GT.

Another note, using the FPW2005, you get really spoiled by all that screen real estate and it gets frustrating on a normal screen after that, a very cramped feeling.

(Eielson AFB AK '79, Lowry AFB CO '85, Keesler AFB MS '86, Andersen AB Guam '87, Sembach AB Germany '89, Clark AB Philippines '91, Cannon AFB NM '97, Gunter AFB AL '98)

Could anyone comment on the Samsung 214T? The specs look good but I'm having trouble finding a review.

I guess that is a fairly new monitor ... they don't even have it on newegg yet. I see it's "temporarily sold out" on buy.com

I assume it's similar to the 204T that they still have a newegg. Basically all of the reviewers mention ghosting ... hopefully the move from a 16ms panel to an 8ms one will make a big difference. I guess wait until some reviews hit the web.

But keep in mind, like another persone already said, if you buy a panel with a 1600X1200 res, you will have more troubel as they keep comeing out with new games. Right now you will probably have no trouble with that 7800GT ... but in the furtue you will have basically three choices:

Buy a new top of the line videocard

Be forced to run the game slowly at the high res

Have it look bad buy running the panel out of native res

but honestly if i had the cash i'd get one of those big boys :nod:

As far as other recomendations go i have been looking at a lot of reviews lately

The newer Viewsonic's VX monitors with the 2ms GTG times are supposed to be really fast in games, but not look all that good for everything else. They say they are giveing up some color reproduction for speed.

The Samsung's 940b/f are suppose to be better all around.

haven't run into any good/recent reviews of the lates monitors form the other manufacturers.

Agreed, seems to be the TFT that's most popular amongst gamers.

I can't praise this TFT highly enough....i had bought a Digimate 19 inch 12ms TFT which looked lovely but when playing any games the ghosting was terrible and there was a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen, no matter how i set it up it just didn't feel right...so luckily i managed to RMA the Digimate and i got the Samsung for not alot more than i had paid for the Digimate :)

Well chuffed :P

Sign in to follow this