-12V rail at -9V - system is stable?

I am using an older enermax psu with 465 Watt and the old atx 20-pin connector with a 20-24 pin adaptor.

I connected this psu to my mainboard at all 4 points, and with my current configuration it is running well, ocd at 2400 and stable under prime, superpi occt, etc, so I was using it with confidence, until i noticed in speedfan that the -12 rail is only at -9! :confused:

Is it a bug in speedfan/the bios, or is the PSU the culprit, just too weak/broken/not good with adaptor?

And anyway, what is the -12v rail for? Is it important? Why does it run at all so much out of spec!?

Thanks for any suggestions, I thought this psu is still good but now I am wondering if I should get a new one.

I have a PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510. With my DFI NF4 SLI-DR Everest did not show me anything for -12v that I can remember, and if it did there was nothing that stood out for me to be concerned about. However, I just replaced my motherboard with an Abit KN8 SLI and Everest is reporting my -12v to be -6v. I would be very surprised if this power supply was bad. I'm going to have to try another one tonight. This power supply should be able to handle my system perfectly and then some.

Weird, BIOS doesn't show me anything for the negative rails. BTW I am using an Abit KN8 SLI right now. Not sure if I am going to switch back to the SLI-DR. The chipset on this one runs much cooler in SLI mode and my computer doesn't sound like a whirlwind anymore.

If I am not mistaken.

-12 and -5 volts are no longer used.

As far as I know the last mobo that used these voltages are at least 5 or more years ago.

If I am not mistaken they were used on the early eaproms (BIOS).

eaprom (Electronicaly alterable program read only memory) or

earom just leave out the program.