Sign in to follow this  
RobFritts

LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR: requesting review of parts list

I've compiled this list from information I've found here and elsewhere and tried to merge what I've read and learned with my plans for this machine.

My goal is to build a rock solid machine that I can leave up 24x7x365 (until windows crashes, typically) for gaming, video/image/audio editing and media serving (to the living room's future slingbox or similar). I view this as getting my foot in the door. Additionally, I am trying to choose parts so that I have the flexibility to OC the hell out of the CPU and eventually be able to get a 2nd life out of the guts of the box by upgrading to the fastest 939 CPU in 2-3 years double my RAM and get another matched GPU to put it in SLI.

I estimate that these core components should take me well into the 5-6 year territory before having to gut it for another overhaul, especially since the one it's replacing is a 5+ year old p3-800. I don't mind having dated hardware as long as it is sufficient for my needs, but when it's time to rebuild I want to do it right and as best I can (within budget, roughly $1800) so that I have a solid upgrade path when the time comes.

I would appreciate any and all critiques, words of wisdom, etc on the following parts list with those things in mind.

Without further ado...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Shopping List ***

CASE: Thermaltake VA8000BWS, includes 2x90mm, 2x120mm case fans

PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520W, OCZ520ADJSLI

Mainboard: DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR

Bios: (to be determined)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego, ADA3700BNBOX

CPU HEATSINK: Thermalright XP-90

CPU FAN: Panaflo 90mm 56.8CFM FBA09A12H-1AZ

THERMAL PASTE: Arctic Silver 5 - 3.5gram tube

RAM: 2x1024 OCZ PC3200 Platinum Edition, OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

GPU: eVGA 7800GT 460core/1100mem 256-P2-N516

Floppy: Mitsumi 7 in 1 USB Floppy and Media Reader (black), FA404M

Optical Drive 1: NEC ND-3420A DVD-RW (black)

HDD 1: WD 74GB Raptor, WD740GD

HDD 2: reused WD 160GB IDE, WD1600JB

HDD 3: reused WD 250GB IDE, WD2500JB

OS: (to be determined, is XPpro worth $55 more than XPhome or $30 more than XPMediaCenter?)

*** Wish List *** (depends on budget)

RAM: Another set... 2x1024 OCZ PC3200 Platinum Edition, OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Optical Drive 2: BenQ DQ60 BK DVD-RW

HDD 1b: WD 74GB Raptor, WD740GD, for RAID0

UPS: APC BACK-UPS 900VA 120V, BR900

SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound

HEADPHONES: Zalman ZM-RS6F surround sound

MOUSE: Logitech MX518 optical

MONITOR: Dell 2001FP

Thank you for taking the time to read this and go through my parts list. I appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Rob

That looks good to me. One word of advice, when you get the system and go to install windows, only install with the raptor connected if that is what you will be using for your OS drive. Just the raptor connected, no IDE's drives. Once you install the OS, then connect the IDE drives and formatt them within disk management and you will be good to go :).

...Just the raptor connected, no IDE's drives. Once you install the OS, then connect the IDE drives and formatt them within disk management and you will be good to go :).
Thanks for the heads up. I've got to archive those disks' data to DVD before I format them too, so that'll help make sure I don't fdisk the wrong one in the beginning.

Do you happen to know if the install of a SATA drive as primary OS disk requires special handling? A while back I'd read in MaximumPC about needing a floppy with sata drivers or something but I've never done one and things may have changed in the 6 months or so since I read that. It's actually been 3+ years since I reinstalled an OS and that was win2K at the time, so I'm a bit out of practice.

Thanks again,

Rob

OS: (to be determined, is XPpro worth $55 more than XPhome or $30 more than XPMediaCenter?)

I don't believe XP Home supports 64 bit.

So yes it's worth the extra $.

Looks pretty solid. I love newegg too, but do try to shop around a little. For instance the xp-90 can be had for about half that price at svc.com or heatsinkfactory.com, and you can probably save a few bucks on AS5 as well. For the most part I think newegg is great for great prices and peace of mind, but they're not ALWAYS the best option.

As far as the comment above, I'm not sure what that means. Both versions of XP support the Athlon64, but neither are 64-bit OS's. I typically recommend the Home version for the lower price. Most don't require the features included with Pro (which IMO is best suited for corporate environments). Do a search and you should see a couple of threads that include links to a comparison between the two.

JiveTurkey:

Thanks for the info. I just used newegg as a starting point to link my list to for additional info. I've been shopping around a little already; pricewatch is my friend and so are the vendor reviews. The heat sink and certain high-end ocz ram (not the 3200 plats) was cheaper at a few other places.

Thanks for the mention about the OS too. I hadn't thought of searching on the forums for it, I was fixing to go explore the MSKB later this evening.

I noticed your post info listed KC as your loc. It's amazing how many folks I see online from there now. My family and I just moved to Texas from KC back in September.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

-Rob

Do you happen to know if the install of a SATA drive as primary OS disk requires special handling? A while back I'd read in MaximumPC about needing a floppy with sata drivers or something but I've never done one and things may have changed in the 6 months or so since I read that. It's actually been 3+ years since I reinstalled an OS and that was win2K at the time, so I'm a bit out of practice.

Thanks again,

Rob

I don't think so. I didn't load any sata driver and I have not had any issue's.

Sign in to follow this