Sign in to follow this  
TheBear60

Trouble going from 2gb to 4gb memory

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! :)

I am having some serious heartache with my system and I was hoping someone here could help me.

The short version:

I cannot get more than 2 1gb sticks to work! (ie, no matter what I do, 2gb at most is ever detected)

The long version:

I have had my system running for quite some time now with 2 1gb sticks in it. My wife (bless her heart) saw me being frustrated at running out of memory and swapping to disk on a regular basis and was kind enough to get me 2 more 1gb sticks for Christmas. I had ASSUMED that I could just plug the two new sticks in and run, but I couldn't have been further wrong.

After not even being able to POST with the new memory in, I did some testing and then eventually came here to read what to do.

I think the most critical and pertinent point is this one: It seems that for everyone ELSE, once they set CPC to disable, they see the extra memory. Not so for me.

TO BE CLEAR: I AM -*NOT*- DEALING WITH THE PROBLEM OF ONLY SEEING 3GB or 3.125GB or 3.5GB OR ANY OF THAT. ALL I SEE IS -*2GB*-, NOTHING MORE.

So now for just a quick run down of what I know now:

1. I cannot even POST with 4 sticks plugged in unless I first boot with 2 sticks and disable CPC in the BIOS.

2. Changing the MMIO mapping has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT - I see only 2gb whether it is turned on or off.

3. Every one of my sticks of memory is the exact same identical part number from OCZ (PC 3200 1024MB EL Dual Channel Platinum Edition 2-3-2-5 version 1.0)

4. I cannot intermingle the sets of sticks. Let us call my first set of sticks A1 and A2, and my second set of sticks B1 and B2. Although I can boot with only A1 and A2, I cannot boot with A1 and B1 or A1 and B2.

5. I can successfully boot with either A1 and A2 in the orange slots or with B1 and B2 in the orange slots (this with nothing in the yellow slots). In both cases, this shows a full 2gb of memory as you would expect.

6. If I have CPC disabled, I can successfully boot with either A1 and A2 in the orange slots with B1 and B2 in the yellow slots, OR with B1 and B2 in the orange slots with A1 and A2 in the yellow slots. NOTE: This only results in detecting 2gb of memory, regardless of which way I order the memory, and regardless of whether MMIO map is enabled or disabled.

7. As a test, I tried putting just the new memory (B1 and B2) into the yellow slots, with NOTHING in the orange slots, just to verify that the yellow slots work, and the system POSTs and detects 2gb of memory.

8. I have booted up with each stick one at a time being the only stick in the computer, set to bios optimized defaults, and then run the memtest86. Three of the sticks show up as 2.5-3-2-5, and ONE of them shows up as 2-3-2-5 (A1). This is perplexing since all the sticks are clearly marked as 2-3-2-5, and NOT 2.5-3-2-5!

9. I have tried a variety of BIOSes including 623-3 and 724-2, but have left it on 623-3 since this is one that I have seen multiple people having success with 4gb of memory.

So after all this testing, it would seem that I know the following facts (please let me know if I have drawn an incorrect conclusion):

1. All the dimm slots work on this motherboard (because of tests 5 and 7 above).

2. All of the individual memory sticks work (I draw this conclusion because of steps 5, and 8 above).

So what I lack right now is any way at all to get above the "2gb barrier". I feel like there is some magical setting, be it in the BIOS or in a jumper that I have missed that would allow me to see all 4 sticks. Please, someone help me out with this.

Thanks for ANY help that ANYONE can give me,

-Verxion

4. I cannot intermingle the sets of sticks. Let us call my first set of sticks A1 and A2, and my second set of sticks B1 and B2. Although I can boot with only A1 and A2, I cannot boot with A1 and B1 or A1 and B2.

Looks to me your "B" memory kit is incompatible with the "A" memory kit, and vice versa

You should be able to mix them if they were exactly the same

Can be a different memory chip, different revision, apart from the same part number

In my case, I had more luck

I'm running with 4 sticks of 512MB

2 x 512MB Samsung TCCD from PQI Turbo Series PC4000

2 x 512MB Corsair XMS 3200 LLPT DDR400 Rev 1.2

Running with 150MHz divider @ CAS 2.5-3-3-7 2T (CPC Disabled)

Give us more details about each memory stick, it's revision.

If you can, get Everest Home Edition and boot with A1+A2 sticks and look at the memory SPD info the information screen about them. Next do the same with the B1+B2 sticks. Sometimes this information can be helpful.

Download EVEREST Home Edition here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Example...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/attachment...ntid=3313&stc=1

"Three of the sticks show up as 2.5-3-2-5, and ONE of them shows up as 2-3-2-5 (A1)."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stop, contact OCZ, explain yer problem, you just might be able to work out an exchange. obviously, the sticks were purchased at different times, and, it seems, possibly mixed up a bit as the SPD is different............

definately a ram problem.....were these bought as matched sets, or singlely?

baldy

Also, you can try this...

Remove any overclock, set everything to stock settings

Set Vdimm to 2.8v

Disable CPC (this means command rate 2T)

Set memory divider to 166

Set latency in BIOS to 2.5 - 3 - 7 - 3

Place @ DIMM2 and DIMM4 - A1 and A2

Place @ DIMM1 and DIMM3 - B1 and B2

I figured as much would show up. I would contact Ocz and likely RMA the first set that has the one with cas 2 and cas2.5 for a set with both SPD'd at 2.5 and then you will have 4 matching ram sticks and can use all 4 sticks is usually the case. Before you ask the SPD is set to bring ram online for those that have no clue how to setup the ram and 2.5cas is one h*ll of a lot easier to run than auto set to Cas 2.0. Rma the older set and the set returning to you should be cas 2.5 by SPD/auto like your later set. And before installing the next set from rma run thru the test again for that pair and make sure both are alike or you start all over again.

RGone...

RGone:

I apologize for my ignorance here, but is there no way to sortof work with the least common denominator? In other words, to set the timing such that it fits a worst case scenario?

It seems to me that I ought to be able to run all the memory at slow settings and have it work together. If I am wrong, could you possibly explain why?

Thanks so very much,

-Verxion

P.S. No one is home at OCZ.

Wait on OCZ and do it right. Some of us have a life and two threads is not necesssary and is also confusing and after we go to the trouble to link a thread so can return to try and answer; you are off elsewhere. Ain't funny.

And by the way OCZ if told the specifics that the Cas of one stick of one set is not the same by SPD; will change the sticks no problem. I got the 'idea' to check the sticks from their techs. They know their memory better than nearly any memory company and it on DFI boards.

RGone...

RGone: Ok, thanks for the help, and sorry about the multiple threads - I felt guilty for hijacking this thread so I started one of my own.

-Verxion

RGone: I just noticed you (or someone) deleted my other thread. Is there any chance you could:

1. Re-activate it long enough for me to cut and paste my initial post in that thread into this one

-or-

2. Paste the info from that other thread into this one?

I think many people could benefit from the step by step I went through in trying to identify the problem. . . .

-Verxion