Is this as far as it can go?

J054

This is my first post in the forums...

I put the specs of my computer in my signature.

For the cpu

I overclocked cpu from 2ghz to 2.4ghz (any higher and it wont boot)

The FSB is 240 and the highest multiplier is 10

I raised the voltage of the cpu to 1.6v

For the ram

I set the timing for 2.5-3-3-6 1t and it runs at 240 Mhz

Other notes

CPU runs at around 25 - 30C

Mobo runs at around 30 -40C

Raised PCI-E frequency to 110 Mhz

I dont remember the exact number but it was around 6800 for 3d Mark 2005

Here is my dilema:

Shouldn't I be able to overclock my cpu even more?

I know its a newbish question but my ram says its 400 Mhz, why is it only 240 Mhz max? Is it because its limited by the mobo?

Should I overclock my PCI-E even more?

Thanks,

J054

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably leave your PCI-e frequency at 100, I'm pretty certain changing it causes more problems that anything else. Your memory runs at ddr400, not 400 mhz, so getting 240 out of it is fairly impressive.

Dumb ? maybe but are you sure it's not 240x2 for the memory?

It is ddr you know .

Like 240x10 = 2400mhz, that's gonna be 240x2 for the memory unless you're on a dividor.

O, stupid me... Ya its 240x10 so 2400Mhz, then you are right...

What about my cpu shouldn't I be able to get atleast 500 Mhz out of it?

haVE you followed the overclocking guide by test to find the max of your cpu and ram?

at 240fsb your rAM is running@480Mhz.

you might have reached the limit on either your cpu or ram...try setting your ram on a divider, and see if you can take the cpu higher.

what volts are you giving the ram?

A couple questions:

Would an increase in cpu voltage help me bump it up? What should my max cpu voltage be?

What is better for gaming, leaving it how it is, or using a divider to bump up cpu?

A couple questions:

Would an increase in cpu voltage help me bump it up? What should my max cpu voltage be?

What is better for gaming, leaving it how it is, or using a divider to bump up cpu?

buy pc4000+ not 3200 for monster overclocks...redline has some wiked memory out if u only need 1 gig...as far as gaming...2 gigs are the standerd now..1 gig is good for quake3,et,doom3 but bf2,hl2,quake4,cod2 need 2 gigs...up to you :D

and as far as dividers go(eww)u like watching your nice pc3200 run at pc2700 speeds i guess?....1:1 400mhz for the win man

There is no way you read the guide. You're oveclocking your CPU at the same time you OC your ram, the guide says not to do that til after you found both max for cpu and ram separately. Pu the ram on the 1/2 divider, raise the ram voltage to 2.8, set the htt multi to 3x, set pcie to 100, 101, or 105.

There is no way you read the guide. You're oveclocking your CPU at the same time you OC your ram, the guide says not to do that til after you found both max for cpu and ram separately. Pu the ram on the 1/2 divider, raise the ram voltage to 2.8, set the htt multi to 3x, set pcie to 100, 101, or 105.

I did read the guide. I set ram on a divider and set it on loose settings so I could bump up my cpu first and i got stuck at 230 so i then bumped up the ram and after bumping up ram bumped up cpu again to 240.

So yes, I did read the guide, and yes I am a newb at overclocking.

Btw to a previous post about 2 gigs of ram...

I run bf2 everything maxed out very smoothly

But I should probably get some more ram

And my mobo only supports ddr 400 pc3200

The board says it only supports 3200, but you can put pc4800+ in it and it will work. BUT - that is not needed...whoever said you need pc4000+ for massive overclocks is wrong. #1 thing to do to increase performance in these systems is CPU MHZ. Ram frequency and timings don't mean much at all. There's a sticky thread on this subject, and has numbers from benchmarks for proof. You don't need more than 1 gig unless you're playing a couple of the newest games like BF2.

I'll bet your ram is maxxed out at 240. Put it on the 9/10 divider and see if it can go higher. If it peaks out again (which I doubt), then go to the next divider down (8/10?) and go for more.

According to the tests ran in that sticky thread I refered to, even with the ram on a low divider, loose timings, and 2T instead of 1T, only makes about 4% difference in the benchmark, which is NOTHING you'll see in real life. If you can gain a few hundred mhz from the cpu by doing these things, then that is something you will feel.

Also, according to your previous post just b4 this...I don't understand how your cpu maxxed out at 230, but then after bumping up ram, you were able to go up to 240...this just doesn't make sense to me. How did you "bump up the ram" but not the cpu? You can make ram run slower by using the divider, but in no way can you make the ram run faster FSB than the cpu. Maybe your timings are off a little. Maybe you don't understand the overclocking guide, or the terminology, or just didn't explain it right.

Search the Overclock Database for your ram, and try some known good settings, for a place to start.

Are you using the the newest official bios? Please add this info to your sig.