OCZ VX Cold Boot

AndrewZorn

...is really starting to piss me off. I had to turn off my computer today. That shouldn't be a crime. It just took me 2hrs to get it back on. This is rediculous and absurd. Is there anything I can do to make it stop doing this? I'm very tempted just to sell this crap on ebay for $50 and buy ANY other memory. Sorry about the tone but I am extremely pissed off because I wanted to, for example, DO THINGS INSTEAD OF WASTING MY TIME SWITCHING RAM SLOTS.

To be honest, I thought that the cold boot issue had been fixed with the 704BTA BIOS. With my VX, the only time I get cold boot issues is when the RAM has become faulty (lot of trouble figuring that out).

Have you tried turning off the computer but not disconnecting it from the mains or turning off the PSU? Its worked for some people, including myself. Occasionally just leaving the computer connected overnight was enough to solve a cold boot issue with some faulty VX.

What is the best way to contact DFI?

Many have said the new DFI Expert no longer has this issue. This enrages me. I would like DFI to replace my board with the Expert. They should not just fix a huge issue like this and release a new board and just say "Oh well, guess you have to lay out another $200".

Its not a DFI only issue. The coldboot issue happens with every single AMD motherboard, it is a product of the weak signal strengths. The only reason you see the coldboot issue on DFI NF4 mobos is because DFI mobos are the only ones that can run more than 3.2v natively. Mods that increase the vdimm to 3.3v+ are consistent, you do not need to change the settings in the BIOS, and the settings don't need to be applied every time you start up your PC.

DFI is NOT obliged to help you, let alone replace your board. They will give you support though, despite the fact that overvolting/overclocking would normally void the motherboard warranty, DFI will give you help and try and fix this issue for you, despite the fact that it is not their problem (its a problem caused by your settings, not by their motherboard).

Then remind me why it doesn't happen on their new board?

I didn't modify the board or anything. I bought it because it was good for overclocking and the good warranty and all. If the settings are there, it is not like it is a bad thing or against normal operation to use such settings.

DFI released a product that fixed a problem, and left existing customers with an old board and an old problem. I know they do not NEED to help me out with this, but it would be much more honorable if they did.