Sign in to follow this  
an0nimen

Extremely poor preformance with Sil3114 raid5 4x300gb Seagate baracuda

HI!

I just got the mobo today and noticed right @ the begining of WinXp istallation that it's bit slow for my 4x300gb sata raid with 4400+ dual core cpu... (Used Sil3114 S-ata raid controler)

When i finaly installed WinXp+all drivers i ren hdtach and as i suspected the result was horibly like 20mb/s avarage speed and 67MB/s burst speed of the raid 5 arrea :~~~

I also noticed that pc wont boot with ddr clock set to 233MHz for my 2x512MB PC3700 (DD466) hyperX mamory modules?! (default timigs).

So i'm asking u guy's if u maybe know what could be the sulution to this problem's of mine?

P.S. It's the same with stock or latest beta bios speedz are crap :/

In Advance thanx for any help and replays.

I'm getting slower speeds as well with the 3114 and my 4x350's. hdtach shows 55MB/s average and 72MB/s burst speeds, when on my last board with 3114 i got at least double that. I'm gonna try my old cables and possibly the 3112 raid as well, hopefully I can get more reputable results.

Maybe one of your drives is not working right. Check each separately ...

Highly unlikely since i used 2 of the drives in raid0 on my old mobo and got around 100mb/s and the other 2 hdd's are brand new both them today and for now i didn't hear any strange noices or experianced any lockups of hdd's reading heads which would indicate hw falure of the hdd.

All works normal just extremly slow i even reinstaled winxp and users newest drivers i could find on the net with no change in preformance...

Maybe i'll try striping raid0 next to see if same poor preformance if so i'll install my highpoint raid5 card and test with thatone if all still bad then single hdd checkup :~~~

But based on my experiance that is not to bad i woud say its somthing driver/bios related or software raid5 simply preforms very poor (guessing) coz normaly good raid cards all have seperate CPU+onboard memory for redundancy calculation...

Oki installed Highpoint RocketRAID 1640 (hpt374) amd made a raid 5 area from same hdd's ad preformace is much better burst is aroud 87MB/s and avarage write 60mb/s that is 3x faster then sil3114 raid5 i tryed before but this is still slow for 4x300gb Seagate 7200.8 NCQ baracudas i use in raid! I used to get around 100mb/s avarage with only 2 of those on raid0 so i'm asking is this normal for raid5 to be so slow? I know raid5 takes cpu power to calculate redundances but i don't think AMD64 x2 4400+ 1MBL2 could be the bottleneck or?

If anyone has a solution or explanation for the problem pliz repaly thanx in advance.

That would be due the southbridge. It is known to have a less fast USB/SATA performance than on IE NF4 boards.

Don't expect to have it work as fast as on your previous boards.

I tryed raod0 it was around 50-60mb/s not to good for 4x300gb sata and ofcoz now i'm using 2x300+2x300 duble striping area with the sil3112 that give preformance about 100mb/s avarage read speed on both raids!

I'm not overly impressed with the RAID stup on the SiL3114, it really is slow! peaking about 80 MB/sec too. Possible to move a near full RAID 0 setup to the 3112 controller?

I have very bad performance on the 3114 as well using 4 X 36GB 10000rpm Raptors. I read that this is because the 3114 contends for the PCI bus along with everything else.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/dfi-rdx200/index.x?pg=1

"You will find a pokey PCI interface, forcing the Sil 3114 to compete for bus bandwidth with the RDX200's Firewire chip and its PCI-based Gigabit Ethernet controller"

I put 2 of the drives in a RAID0 configuration on the 3112 controller. This controller has access to the PCI-E bus which allows it to run much faster. However, the 3112's are split up into 2 channels, each supporting 2 drives, so there is no way to put all 4 drives in a RAID0 on the 3112.

Guest pureivan

This is a very serious problem .DFI should retrive all types of goods.DFIshould take the responsebility~~~~