ATI RD580 Dual x16 Crossfire. When?

gdogg

The 580 gets a very good review with one of the reference boards..

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2609

It appears that the 580 should be coming out next month.. Not sure when DFI will release a board based on it. However, I hope that they will not cut corners as they did with the 480 board..

Also, according to the article, ATI has found a way to allow for overclocking (in the article they did up to 300) without a decrease in HTT. They actually had their HTT @ >1600.. This looks to be a very promising chipset (damnit, I just bought the RDX200... OH well..)..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my honest opinion.

the RD580 is the best chipset to hit the amd market ever.

and if this board is paired with a sata 2 southbridge, ati or uli

it is for sure, unbeatable.

who doesn't want HTT that you can overclock 300X5 instead of like 300X3

Without a doubt.

Please explain why?

I was under the impression the HyperTransport bus wasnt being saturated as it is right now anyway... and seeing as ATI only use the NB chip for "SLI" there really isnt much necessity for increased NB->SB communication speeds is there?

"HOW" would it help... I guess that's my question...??

well, that bigg of a deffernce is sure to make a difference, mainly cause no one has ever been able to it.

Even if at the least makes it easier to overclock, for the unaware.

But mainly, when we get into tight timings, and close to ddr 600 2-2-2-5, the bus becomes extremely saturated, I believe, this will help the bandwich in such cases.

Like, what I plan to do :D

120MM fans 4 some muskin redline.

But I am delaying my computer til this motherboard now rd 580, the r580 ati cards, and of coarse, the cmstacker830 :drool

But mainly, when we get into tight timings, and close to ddr 600 2-2-2-5, the bus becomes extremely saturated, I believe, this will help the bandwich in such cases.

i think you're confusing the CPU-to-RAM speed with the HyperTransport speed... HyperTransport is the link between the SB & NB, and between the NB & CPU as far as I know.

Having a higher total HTT isnt going to effect memory bandwidth... not by a noticeable margin anyway... I guess there could be a benefit if you were running some bandwidth hungry PCI-E cards like high end sound card, capture card, add-in RAID card, Gigabit ethernet, physic processing unit(?), etc.

I think the only real benefit is, as you said, making overclocking easier for newbies..

I thought HTT is the link between the cpu and memory

to see how this can affect memory bandwich drastically, lower to X2 or X1 multipler

you'll see, you lose thousands of points.

Seeing as the point im trying to make is that a HIGHER HTT wont really make much difference... try changing your LDT multi from 4x to 5x and run a few benchmarks to gauge the improvement... or lack of it