Sign in to follow this  
stoned310

dfi lanpart nf4 sli-dr-3800 x2?

hi, ive recently bought my first dfi board, the lanparty nf4 sli-dr. ive seen somewhere this has a bios out for my cpu but im a little stumped about sumin. how am i gonna get the bios installed on the board so my cpu will work if it doesnt straight outta the box. i dont hav another pci-e card or cpu. cud somebody please take the time to explain this to me?, am i missing sumin. Thanks ever so much for reading my post

peace

I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to post with an earlier BIOS. It just won't recognize which processor you have but it should function to the capacity you need it to. Just make sure the first thing you do is update it to 623-3. Grab yourself a copy of that nifty TMOD BIOS CD and have it ready. It's nice to be able to flash BIOS without messing with floppy disks. If it won't post, I believe you can purchase a pre-flashed BIOS chip from TMOD.

I think he is concerned that when his CPU arrives maybe he won't be able to post if his BIOS is older than 623-3, but I don't think that's the case. Besides, if you can't post you can't underclock.

thanks adam, 2 questions tho, as this is the first dfi board ive had (usually asus) im not sure what i want. is that the bios version? 623-3? also im not that pc clued up, ive fitted my agp pc before but never a pci-express, ive got the instructions which i think i can follow pretty easy tho. do you have to use this front panel its supplied with? wat exactly does it do? ive also noticed it comes with a part which is usually connected to mboards, does this hav to b fitted, its got like 6 different connections on it. looking at the board im not sure where it fits. ill take the time to read the manual, im just taking a quick look atm. buying a preflashed bios is a bit daunting to me, ive never fitted a bios chip before and dont think i cud handle sumin like that. i also dont hav my dvdrw set up to write atm, so im probaly gunna hav to set up with floppys if they dont hav a windows based update program. so your saying even if it works outta the box i shud update the bios first thing? thanks again adam, i appreciate the help

oh i just thought of sumin else ill need before i take this pc to bits, the sata raid drivers for it. will i find these on the cd? will they b the same as wat im using now on my asus k8n-e deluxe, which is sil3114. if you dont know its not a problem. thanks again, so many questions hehe :)

p.s yes im worried it wont post or it might damage it somehow. im making sure mainly :D just spent hella money on these parts and dont want to ruin them :D thanks

The online manual should show every thing you need. the bios will let you post even the 310 bios but for the X2 you do need to have or load the 623 bios for the cpu to be reconized correctly. Drivers i would download the 6.70 platform drivers from Nvidia if your setting up raid you will need drivers from the CD altough some have had problems with the floppy so you might also have another floppy with the raid drivers if no floppy you will have to slipstrem them. The Nvidia controller better than the Sil both driver are on the floppy that came with board.

As far as I know the first BIOS revision to support dual core is 623-3. Just be sure to connect all 4 power connectors to the motherboard. It requires a native 24 pin connector, the 4 pin square connector as well as a standard molex and floppy power connector. Also check if your PCI Express card requires a power connector. In that case you should make sure you have a PCI Express ready power supply. There is a good thread here with a list of compatible power supplies for this motherboard. As far as the front panel is concerned, I don't use it. I think it just extends the 4 diagnostic LED lights so you can see them on the front of your computer. Without the front panel the same LED's are visible on the bottom of the board. It's just a convenience thing but I don't think it's mandatory. Also if I am correct the other module you are asking about is the onboard audio module. If you are going to use the onboard audio you should probably connect it, but again, I don't think it's mandatory. I think it only adds some functionality to the onboard sound. I have a PCI sound card so I have the onboard audio disabled in the BIOS and I did not attach that module. I believe this is a safe configuration. Here is a recent thread discussing the need to install the module. If you can post when you finish connecting everything, just make sure you have the 623-3 BIOS. YOu can do this by going into the BIOS and checking for the Errata 123 option in the advanced chipset screen. If it's there, you have 623-3. You don't need a floppy drive to flash the BIOS. Just download TMODs BIOS CD and boot from that and you can flash the BIOS from the bootable CD. However, if you plan on using the onboard RAID you will almost definitely need a floppy drive so you can load the drivers with F6 at the windows setup screen. I have successfully done this with an external USB drive. If you plan on using RAID I would recommend going with the nforce raid and not the sil3114. Make sure you use the raid drivers from the motherboard CD. I dont know if anyone else had this problem but when I tried to use the raid drivers from the latest nforce driver set, I could not get windows installed properly. And as lowboy stated, just be sure to install the latest nforce chipset drivers once you're in Windows. I don't think there will be any harm in attempting to post with your new CPU and whatever BIOS is flashed on the MB. I doubt it would harm anything. If anything it just won't post but I'm confident it will unless something is defective, and there's only one way to find out if something is defective. Try it. :) I know how you feel though, I spent over $3000 on my current setup and I am having what I believe to be a hardware problem that I've narrowed down to either the CPU or the motherboard. I'm waiting for a new CPU to test it with so I'm already taking the costly plunge into troubleshooting limbo.

wow thanks for all those links and help! i have the ocz powerstream 520 w psu so im gd with that, ill also leave the front panel and onboard audio device. ive just read thru the manual and now understand the pci express jumpers etc. im just a bit stumped on this raid. i tryed putting the boards disc in to make myself a raid floppy but it doesnt recognize it bcus its only nf3. will i hav to install on 1 drive first, then make myself a floppy and reinstall with the raid driver on that floppy disc, or is it done in another way on this board? i see you are running 2 drives, do u use raid with those? im just downloading that tmods bios cd and ill get nero so i can burn it, just incase. thanks again.

peace

edit: huh some of ya post wasnt there b4, cheers just what i was after anyway, thanks ever so much, ill post bak and let u know how it went once ive installed it. gd luk with your problem, i wish i cud help after youve been so kind. unfortnutely i cant :( cheers

I don't have the CD with me at the moment, but you should be able to use windows explorer to navigate the cd on any computer. Just find the raid drivers and copy them to floppy. The autorun menu doesn't have this feature anyway. When I get home I'll check the CD and tell you exactly what folder to copy. Yeah, I'm known to edit my posts continuously until I think they are acceptable. Sometimes 4 or 5 times lol. I don't like to be misleading or give wrong information so I always triple check my work. I am not currently using raid with my setup, only because I am still in the troubleshooting phase. I DID use it on my initial install and everything went fine as long as I used the raid drivers from the CD that came with the mobo. If I tried using the latest NForce raid drivers on floppy Windows would reboot indefinitely after installing. However, if I used the raid drivers from the CD just to install Windows and then installed the latest nforce drivers (including the latest raid drivers in windows) I had no bad experiences afterwards. As soon as I figure out where my graphical stuttering is coming from, I'll re-install Windows again with RAID0. Remember, with RAID0 if one hard drive goes bad, your data is gone. RAID1 will protect you from this but you will only have the space available of one drive instead of both.