Sign in to follow this  
GoodOmens

"Error Loading Operating System" ....

I rebooted after a game crash to increase some chip voltage (currently system is uncerclocked and undervolted) and I got that error.

I am 99.99999% sure its caused by me installing windows on my raid drives with a Pata drive connected meaning it got the NTLDR file correct?

My question is this:

Is there a way to fix this without installing windows again?

If I do reinstall will it cause problems when I reconnect my pata drive assuming it has the NTLDR file?

Thanks!

you could try it...

My system recently started exhibiting boot problems for no reason and I just hit ESC during POST and manually select the drive I want to boot off of. My problem started occurring when I moved a SATA drive to another port. Even when I moved it back the problem didn't go away so I just use the boot menu as a workaround. I'm too lazy/busy to mess with it further.

Hmm I didn't know I could do that. I wil try that ....

Is there a way to clean the boot files off my pata drive assuming I can get it to boot to windos (I am at work now so i can't try it till I get home)?

It is possible to move NTLDR et all to a new drive to make it bootable. I haven't done that in a while so hit the MS knowledge base or your fav MS tech site for a decent explanation.

You could use Partition Magic or equivalent to set the whole PATA drive/partitions to Extended/Logical and Inactive and windows should not try to boot it. ALSO when you do this IT will remind you NOT to hook it up when installing windows since windows at install will complain because it wants to put 'boot' files on it and and cannot. Shutdown and unhook the drive and windows installs and then hook the drive back up. Been running raid for years and always set my 3rd drive used for backups like this and I can add or remove it as I please so far.

RGone...