PWM IC - how much is too much? (temperature)

Ok, got a X2 4400+ here, and I'm doing some OC'ing, my cpu voltage is at 1.55v (1.52v in ITE).

@ 2.6ghz, the PWM IC is at 69C, cpu is at 42-44C. Chipset is 46C.

Should I be worried with the PWM IC so high? My old venice 1.8 @ 2.6 never ever exceeded like 40-45. I do realize this is sucking a lot more voltage, but still...

Anyone in the know out there who could enlighten me?

Ok, got a X2 4400+ here, and I'm doing some OC'ing, my cpu voltage is at 1.55v (1.52v in ITE).

@ 2.6ghz, the PWM IC is at 69C, cpu is at 42-44C. Chipset is 46C.

Should I be worried with the PWM IC so high? My old venice 1.8 @ 2.6 never ever exceeded like 40-45. I do realize this is sucking a lot more voltage, but still...

Anyone in the know out there who could enlighten me?

What is PWM IC :confused: i always thought it was my PSU!!! :D

believe it or not, ym case has great airflow.

CM Stacker, 2 120mm intake at the front, 1 120mm exhaust at the rear (all panaflo's, low speed, around 67cfm i believe).

2 x 80mm exhaust at the rear

1 x 80mm exhaust at the top of the case.

1 x 120mm low low speed blowing on the 7800GTX's and chipset (lowers chipset temps like 15C, same deal for gtx's)

all the fans are low speed though, but still, it generates enough airflow i believe.

Those things are rated crazy hot I think - but I'd still carefully check if a cable isn't laying on top of one of the PWM heatsinks or something. Cables aren't rated at 100c and you might be able to eventually melt a cable with high enough temps and expose the wires and cause a short.

I suggest getting some video card ram heatsinks, cleaning the bottom of it(and the pwmic), applying your choice of thermal grease, and putting it on.

I think it's worth trying a passive chipset cooler with thermal paste like this.. the glue acts as thermal paste, and is VERY strong(I used it to hold a zalman fan blade together on a hsf and it ran at 12v for days without flying off). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118202

If you have the room, something like that on the pwmic would definately absorb the heat well enough for even the lamest of air cooling to cool. :)

well i jimmy rigged a very low speed 80mm fan sitting above the PWM IC's, its generating enough airflow to keep the PWM IC below 56C now with both processors at full load. I imagine as the room gets hotter it'll rise to around 60C, but thats a far cry from the 73C it was yesterday.

Now to see if thats whats keeping me below 2.6ghz.... this thing boots at stock voltage at 2.8ghz so i know i can get more out of her than 2585 heh...

Guest Crusader

I thought my PWMIC was a little on the high side as well (55 C under load) so I reapplied AS5 on my HSF and while I was at it I also put AS5 on the chipsetfan. Now my PWMIC maxes out at 50/51 C under load! :)

I am curious as well what is the PWC. My PWC and chipset are 45c and 55c idle respectively. Under load my chipset goes up to 64c. My case is HUMONGOUS and I have 1 120mm intake in the front and 1 120mm and 1 90mm in the rear taking air out. I could probably fit a small baby in my case comfortably. No cables are blocking anything. My dual 7800 GTX generate a decent amount of heat. They idle at 60c and rise to 85c under load. Of course one of them has to sit on top of the chipset, though I made sure to check that the chipset fan operating within normal parameters and it is, but the fan sounds like a jet engine. By the way I run everything stock.