Sign in to follow this  
Orthogonal

Serious setup problems, urgent help required

This couldn't have happened at a worse time before all my final projects are due, but to make a long story short, Window's gave up the ghost and I'm trying to reinstall Window's.

The trouble is whenever I boot to the Window's CD, it begins to load all the necessary files to start the setup, but it hangs and/or gives an error about being unable to load a file. To make sure it wasn't my disc, I've tried 2 32-bit XP discs, 1 64-Bit disc, and even Linux Fedora Core 4 and they all hang during the setup process before anything actually installs.

I've reset the CMOS, loaded optimized defaults, the whole standard procedure and nothing seems to change it.

I thought my RAM was screwey, but a long run of Memtest86 shows nothing out of the ordinary. I thought maybe my DVD drive was whacked out, but I put in a seperate drive and the same problems happen.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions, I'm desperate. I need this fixed ASAP!!!!

did you run aleast 20 passes of mem test#5 and pass? Have you tried one stick of ram in the orange whore the one nerest the edge of board.

It runs Memtest #5 just fine, I don't remember how many runs I did, but it was quite a few with no errors reported... however, I haven't tried using 1 stick yet... I think that will be my next approach.

Would anyone recommend trying a BIOS flash to something newer? or older?

Thanks for the help

Did you reformat the HDD? I 've had it where an install failed and would not reinstall till i reformatted the HDD. You bios are good if not corrupted.

Well, I'm trying to reformat the HDD, but the setup never gets to that point. It hangs while loading the files into memory to even start the setup program... you know how it says, "checking hardware configuration" yadda yadda yadda, "Press F6 for third-party RAID/SCSI drivers", it hangs immediately after that.

I've tried my SATA and IDE drives... I don't think they're the problem since the HDD is never actually used at this point.

Thanks for your help... I won't get to try anything for a few hours since I'm at work right now.

Are your drives recognized in the bios? You could try different channels for your sata drives...even different cables.

And get rid of your OC while you are trying to sort this out.

Yes, my drives are recognized by the BIOS, I've tried different channels on the sata drives, and no, it's not OC'ed right now. I failed to mention that specifically, but I'm just running the optimized defaults.

I don't think it's an HDD problem since it hangs before the disc can load anything into memory... man this sux. Thanks for the suggestions.

What I'd try is a format with fdisk. If as lowboy says maybe your hdd is too screwed to install windows without a format first. Try 1 stick of ram too..

What I'd try is a format with fdisk. If as lowboy says maybe your hdd is too screwed to install windows without a format first. Try 1 stick of ram too..

negative, that wouldn't affect a Fedora install...

bad cdrom drive maybe or system is fux0rd due to processor damage...

Check your fans and temperatures. If your components are overheating, you likely won't be able to install Windows, usually receiving random errors here and there about not being able to copy files and computer freezing during installation. Very similar to what would happen if you had bad memory. But the same problems can occur with good memory and overheating. Just a suggestion though you probably already checked that.

Ok, I think it's fixed now, and I'm almost a little embarrassed. I think the problem may have been my RAM volatage. My G.Skill likes to play with 2.8-2.9v... but when I reset the CMOS and loaded optimized defaults sets the RAM voltage to 2.6. By setting it to 2.9, and also upping the chipset and LDT bus voltage a bit too, it got through the setup like nothing bad had ever happened before.

This is quite perplexing since it ran Memtest86 test 5 like a champ and I've reformatted on the defaults several times before... oh well, atleast now I know what the problem is, and I don't have to buy a new mobo, CPU or RAM :)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

well, the DFI build guide always recommends upping the LDT and chipset voltage during OS installs. good thing you got your system working again.