Freezing

I just finished building my computer the other day, did not change any bios settings I just figured it would auto detect everything. So anyway I wanted to test it out on my free copy of COD2 and played it nicely last night for about 2 hours. But today ive been playing it and every 10 minutes or so the computer will freeze.

I looked around the forums for related topics and it could be the memory timings are wrong, but I have no idea how to change those timings in the BIOS. Also I do know my video card comes overclocked and can cause problems such as artifacting so it may be the culprit. But what I need help with is seeing if I need to change my memory timings and video card clock speeds. and I need to know how to do this in my BIOS menu. I already looked at some stickies on how to do it but im still lost on how to do it.

the memory timings should be 2-3-2-5

if anyone has any other ideas on why it may be freezing please post!

Your going to have to study up on the stickeys and you can run search on this forum for your memory and timings also OCZ has( bleedingedge) forum. There are so many different things it could be your going to have to isolate what. Have you gone into the event viewer to see what it's showing?

It will show system errors:

go to control panel>performance>adm.tools>event viewer

You can look thru there and find out what was cause errors and lock ups.

Mem test is in bios , enable it an when you reboot it will start to run after you run it disable and reboot.

I looked in the event viewer and didnt see anything irregular really, there were alot of events like "database engine started" then "database engine stopped" So I might try a memtest maybe that will show something

i just started memtest and it says the timings are 2.5-3-2-5, but on the spec where i ordered them it says they are 2-3-2-5 and on memtest it says DDR401...not DDR400 are these different timings and DDR# something that could be causing freezing during games?

I would highly suspect your video card. The original bios on the eVGA 7800GT's had a +40mhz delta clock on it and the card couldn't handle it. A later bios removed it. You should take a look at the eVGA forums, many problems like yours (played a couple hours fine but then freezing), you might need to flash to the latest bios.

The DDR401 is normal, clock generators vary a little. The memory timings are looser than what they are rated for, so it shouldn't be a problem.