Where so I go next? - continued random game crashes...

So I have read through all the threads here on random crashes. I have memtested both sticks individually for 8 hours each in slot 1. Everything is at optimized defaults except the memory which is cranked down to the most stable possible settings (based on recommendations from articles here). Today I just used one stick of RAM, Disabled Command per Clock, and ran Prime blend and it still crashed after 1 hour. No overclock, everything at default. Not sure where to go from here.

Go to the OCZ forum, I bet they can give you bios settings that will get you close.

http://ocztechnology.com

I could not run the auto settings I had to study a post that is a stickey in the oc section about memory settings to get my rig stable.

Good Luck.

Also have heard that the creative cards can give some folks problems, make sure your drivers are current and unload all the creative stuff you don't use.

Story of the fix:

I aswell had trouble at first with games. I could play at the highest settings smooth as velvet after 10 mins I would get a hang that would last 1-5mins and then be playable and then repeat cycle. Yet I could run 3dmark 2005 flawlesslyas many times as I wanted it would never lock up like it did in games. I thought at first it was my mobo but it was my video card. I bought an evga 7800GT OC N516.

The Fix:

I bought my 7800gt from newegg. On newegg they had rated the Core and Memory speeds to be 460mhz/1100mhz accordingly. I downloaded coolbits on my pc to take alook at what my clocks were at and suprise suprise EVGA OVER OVER CLOCKED the card to much. My core and memory were set at 470mhz/1200mhz. So I manually(with coolbits) set the speeds back to 460/1100 and to this day I have not expirence a single crash in any current game (Fear, Half life 2, Black and White 2) Playing the lost coast with everything on max including full HDR lighting is bliss.

Well I hope this fixes ya as it did me.

Well that sounds pretty good and I'll look into it, I also have the N516. However, I am getting Prime95 blend errors too. the small and long FFT tests run great but blend goes berserk after an hour or so...borks the whole system requiring a reboot. This would seem to be a problem with the memory interface and not so much the video card.

The OCZ forum had no specific information about my memory. Odd since it is the number 1 rated memory for this specific motherboard (with regard to stability) - according to an admin post I read here.

Here's one of a couple of posts I found on OCZ forums about exactly how to setup this memory:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?p=131175

I'm either running exactly these settings or damn close - I think I may be at 2-3-2-7 but from reading on here someplace I found that the last number doesn't do much. I benched at 2-3-2-5 and 2-3-2-7 and saw pretty much no difference. I did ignore what he said about the CPU voltage - I know what voltage my CPU needs. :)

Got to love memory guys that will give you that level of detail on how to configure in your specific mobo, down to what BIOS to use! :D

Edit: I should also mention, in playing around with OC'ing this memory, I loosened the timings to 3-4-4-10 I think - wouldn't boot and had to reset CMOS lol. I decided I was happy with 236 x 11 on 9/10 divider and memory at 200 about 30 seconds after that. :P

OK, tried all those things. Used all the settings suggested by OCZ rep. Underclocked my video. I even took my Mushkin Level 1 Black out of my other computer and put it in here...surprise, surprise...no POST. Even after CMOS clear. Jeez. I've never seen any other motherboard in 20+ years of computer building that is this finicky with memory. No wonder 50% of the posts on this forum are "I can't get this damn board to run" posts. Unless anyone else has anything to add its RMA time.

OCZ rep recommended settings:

In Genie Bios

auto

16 16

auto

disable

1.425v

1.300V

above VID 110%

1.20v

1.50v

2.7V

DRAM Config

enable

auto (704-2BT bios does not have this setting)

enabled

auto

Level 8 (normal 4 in 704-2BT bios)

Level 2

8ns

normal

6ns

disable

disable