Sign in to follow this  
ganders75

Ongoing OCZ memory issues

Hi, I've had this board for ages and have been having alot of the problems that you see on the forum: blue screens (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, etc) and also get random failures from my wireless network card... I cold start, modify my settings and things seem to be stable for a while - but then eventually things will bug out again... I've gotten totally frustrated - so here i am... ;o)

I have all 4 connectors in the board. I've tried all sorts of settings - including just setting everything to auto (which was even more of a disaster!) Once I notice the problems - if I shut down for a while and let everything cool off, everything is usually ok for a while... so I'm thinking that the problem is related to memory - possibly having problems once things start getting a little hot?

Anyway I am using the following GENIE settings:

Auto

16 | 16

Auto

Disable

1.425v

1.3v

Above * 113%

1.2v

1.5v

2.7v

Disable

And my current DRAM config:

Enable

Auto

Enabled

Auto

level 8

level 2

8ns

Normal

6ns

Disable

16x

7x

Disable

Anything anyone can come up with as a suggestion would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

ganders

Well, since you're not trying to overclock at this point, put your cpu voltages back at stock. No use in pumping extra juice through it. Memory voltages are fine, but 2.8 could be even better.

Try putting everything back at auto, and save and exit. When you get back into bios, change the DRAM Drive Strength to 7, and the DRAM Data Strength to 2. You can also, in the meantime check out the Stock Speed Database for a list of possible settings that you can try out. Hope this helps. Report back what happens!

Try these

In Genie Bios

auto

16 16

auto

disable

1.425v

1.300V

above VID 110%

1.20v

1.50v

2.6V - 2.7V

DRAM Config

enable

auto (704-2BT bios does not have this setting)

enabled

auto

Level 8 (normal 4 in 704-2BT bios)

Level 2

8ns

normal

6ns

disable

disable

I have received a response from AndyT over at OCZ and am currently using his suggested settings. With these, I pass MemTest Test 5 for over an hour no problems, and it will run Prime for about the same period of time... Problem is that once i have been running normal apps +/or gaming for a while (like all night for example), strange things start to go wrong.. Usually it is just the wireless card failing, or java crashing and stuff - but i'm a little worried that it might become a little more serious if i just leave it...

I have sent AndyT off another email - but thought i'd repost here and see if anyone had anything more immediate?

So, after another weekend of strange hardware problems I find myself with the following settings:

GENIE BIOS Setting

>DRAM Configuration

FSB BUS Frequency.................... 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.............. AUTO

LDT BUS Transfer Width............... 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio.............. AUTO

PCI eXpress Frequency................ 100Mhz

K8 Cool 'n' Quiet Support............ Disable

Cool 'n' Quiet MAX FID............... AUTO

CPU VID StartUp Value................ 1.500

CPU VID Control...................... AUTO

CPU VID Special Control.............. AUTO

LDT Voltage Control.................. 1.30 V

Chip Set Voltage Control............. 1.60 V

DRAM Voltage Control................. 2.90 V ** (2.7v-2.9v)

GENIE BIOS Setting >DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ)............. 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command per clock (CPC).............. Enabled

Cas latency (tCL).................... 2

RAS to CAS delay (tRCD).............. 3

Min RAS active time (tRAS)........... 8 ** (or 7)

Row precharge time (tRP)............. 2

Row cycle time (tRC)................. 8 ** (or 7)

Row refresh cycle time(tRFC)......... 14 ** (or 16)

Row to Row delay (tRRD).............. 3

Write recovery time (tWR)............ 3

Write to read delay (tWTR)........... 2 ** (or 1)

Read to write delay (tRWT)........... 3 ** (or 2)

Refresh period (tREF)................ AUTO ** (or 3120)

Write CAS latency (tWCL)............. AUTO

DRAM Bank Interleave................. Enabled

DQS Skew Control..................... AUTO

DQS Skew Value....................... 0

DRAM Drive Strength.................. Level 6

DRAM Data Drive Strength............. AUTO

Max Async Latency.................... AUTO

Dram Response........................ Normal

Read Preamble Time................... AUTO

Idle Cycle Limit..................... 256

Dynamic Counter...................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass..................... 16

Bypass Max........................... 7

32 Byte Granularity.................. Disable

* vDIMM less that 2.9v will fail MemTest with 100+ errors (Test5)

** I've tried most adjustments of these, and in most cases am using the loosest of the settings given by AndyT

Does anyone have any ideas/tweaks that they can suggest.

Cheers,

ganders

I am a newbie here, but I have really spent alot of time here reading, learning and testing my computer for stability. I noticed you said you ran Metest #5 for an hour and P95 ofr an hour. From what I have read here, that is not enough.

Let me give you an example. My rig passed P-95 for 10 hours, memtest #5 for 30 passes. But when I ran the whole test I was getting errors in test 7. I had set everything back to stock/auto and I still had errors. I cleared the CMOS and started from scratch verifying each indiviual stick and then dual channel. Well, the errors went away after a CMOS reset and making small adjustments to to some settings. After that, I was able to start bumping it back up to where I had it and passed Super PI, OCCT, 3Dmark05, a night of memtest and a night of P95. My recommendation to you is to start over and follow angry's guide for overclocking (even if your not) so you can test it for stability and make adjustments as necessary one at a time. Hope this helps.

try 3v to the ram, and also weaker/lower drive strength, well looks like you set yours to auto an its better, same for me with the 704-2bta bios it autos to weak in a64tweaker. my golds act like vxs and i had lots of trouble till i settled for having to give them 3v to get them to do stock timings/speeds, figured fine they stable now tho it takes extra voltage, so ill start pushing them and if they dont go as far as i like i have a valid reason to rma right. after further tweaking ive been able to tighten up various timings, and get them to 250 at 3.4v, but what throws me now is if i raise my drive strength to 8 or 6, tho both weak and normal work in a64tweaker.

OCZ told me test 7 errors usually mean heat, was getting same bit failing repeatedly, i have to have some fans on my ram for it to run stable.