Buying Memory Today Please Help

Clunk

Hi there,

i have got my DFI nf4 UTultra-d board and thermalright SI-120 (athlon 64 3200 coming this week), and i was wondering if this memory will be the ideal for me. i wont be gaming, but i do plan on overclocking as much as possible. i have listed the specs from the websites below. both sets of ram are 2x512 and are both similarly priced. sorry if its a no brainer to some of you experts!

i have also just found that i need a new power supply to replace my enermax 431w as the main power connector is different, ive been looking at the antec true power 480w after looking in the psu section here. will that be enough for me, bearing in mind that i will only be using a cheap graphics card?.

thanks in advance!

p.s. apologies if this is in the wrong section :)

this http://www.gobeyondltd.com/products/results.asp?id=70

Description: New series of High Performance DDR RAM from G.Skill. This company is a new name in high performance memory, and their memory has already received some very good reviews. This particular kit is based on Samsung TCCD chips, and has been rated 2-2-2-5 @ PC3200 DDR400 speed and 2.5-4-4-8 @ PC4400 (DDR550) speed.

Support for all G.Skill memory is available directly from the manufacturer.

GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 successfully launched high performance ExtremeMemory Series memory modules in 1GB and 512MB capacities. ExtremeMemory Series consist of dual channel and single channel series.

GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 continues to utilizes the latest advanced technology in product development. The high performance ExtremeMemory Series is engineered for superior performance in an extreme environment.

SKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 SERIES Dual Channel Edition PC-3200 memory is specifically designed for high frequency operation on Intel 865/875 or K8 Nforce 3 chipset based motherboards*** through the use of GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 SERIES HyperSpeed and ULN technology. It is capable of achieving outrageous speeds of up to 550MHZ OR above at CL 3-4-4-8 in the K8(ABIT AV8).

Date added: 11/16/2004

# Specifications: P/N: F1-3200DSU2-1GBLC

# IC Spec: Samsung TCCD (DDR500 Chip)

# CAS Latency: 2-2-2-5 (PC3200)

# CAS Latency: 2.5-4-4-8 (PC4400)

# 1024MB kit (2x512MB) dual channel pack

# Test Voltage: 2.65~2.85V

# PCB Board: 6 Layers PCB

# Speed: DDR 400 MHz (PC3200)

# Speed: DDR 550 MHz (PC4400)

# Type: 184-pin DDR SDRAM

# Error Checking: Non-ECC

# Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered

# Warranty: Lifetime

# Further specifications

Warranty: Lifetime

Manufacturer: G.Skill

or this http://www.memory-configurator.com/brand/G...DSU2-1GBLA.html

Product name:

1Gb LA PC4800(DDR600) 3-4-4-8 PC3200 2-2-2-5 Dual channel kit

Partnumber:

F1-3200DSU2-1GBLA

Description:

GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 successfully launched high performance ExtremeMemory Series memory modules in 1GB and 512MB capacities. ExtremeMemory Series consist of dual channel and single channel series.

GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 continues to utilizes the latest advanced technology in product development. The high performance ExtremeMemory Series is engineered for superior performance in an extreme environment.

GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 SERIES Dual Channel Edition PC-3200 memory is specifically designed for high frequency operation on K8 Nforce 3 chipset based motherboards*** through the use of GSKILL Samsung TCCD PC3200 2-2-2-5 SERIES HyperSpeed and ULN technology. It is capable of achieving outrageous speeds of up to 600MHZ or above.

Frequency:

400MHz-600MHz

Specifications:

IC Spec: Samsung TCCD (DDR500 Chip)

Quality Control: Comprehensive rigorously tested in pair at dual channel environment

Package: 512MB kit (2x256MB) 1024MB kit (2x512MB) dual channel pack

CAS Latency: 2-2-2-5 (PC3200)

CAS Latency: 3-4-4-8 (PC4800)

(512LA 2x256MB is 1T command)

(1GBLA 2x512MB is 2T command)

Test Voltage: 2.65~2.85 V

PCB Board: 6 Layers PCB

Speed: DDR 400 MHz (PC3200)

Speed: DDR 600 MHz (PC4800)

Type: 184-pin DDR SDRAM

Error Checking: Non-ECC

With alu heatspreaders

Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered

Warranty: Lifetime

I run the LA which is great, excellent memory . But... if i was buying today like sharp suggests I might well look @2x1Gb G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ REVIEW & DISCUSSION

I wouldn't go with the antec true power 480w

Try This week only (very Bottom)Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU (CA-007-EN) or Tagan TG530-U22 530W ATX2.01 2Force SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-005-TG)

luck :)

cheers supershanks, fellow manc here!

after some faffing about, i managed to get all the bits ordered. changed the ram at the last minute to the g.skill 2 gig hz kit after doing some reading. it worled out at about 30 quid dearer including postage, so thats a bonus! and also i grabbed that enermax psu to replace my old enermax. i swore i would never buy from overclockers.co.uk again, but at that price who can argue :)

also grabbed an xfx 6600 256 card which was on offer somewhere else.

it should all arrive tomorrow, so no doubt ill be back to ask more questions once its all built up.

one last question.

its been around 18 months since i overclocked this current system, and i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction of some good programs / tools to get me up and running.

last time i used:

cpuz

mbm5

prime95

memtest86

ive seen people doing screenshots of other programs but i dont know what they are or where to get them from.

Hi Clunk,

Live in manc but support The Champions :nod: hopre you don't hold that against me :D

your ram i'm sure will dio the biz.

xfx 6600 256 card
lol a gamer junkie like me :cool:

i swore i would never buy from overclockers.co.uk again
touch wood i've not had problems there but have heard about a lot of pps who have. - I must admit some of their weekly offers are good value. I got my Xp-90C a month or so ago 4 £ as Xp-90

cpuz

mbm5

prime95

memtest86

are all good though mamtest is in bios which is cool.

I'd also add:-

everest

OCCT - Does a decent stress test that only takes 1/2 hr. so is great if yoour doing progressive overclocks. (bad news support is in French)

SP2004 - is also a good Prime based tool

you can get a lot of the above from Utilities and Download Links

OCCT (Tranlation)

it should all arrive tomorrow, so no doubt ill be back to ask more questions once its all built up.
looks like we're both building tomorrow. I just managed 2 get the last Opteron 148 from Scan at 4:30pm, am knackered have had 5 hours driving so am spending 2night just gloating :nod: & reading the Opteron Threads.

luck :nod:

well deserved champions too! bah humbug :D

thanks for that, looks like im all set then. cant wait :)

i was just looking at the motherboard and si-120 heatsink and noticed that when in place, the fan on the heatsink looks like it will blow onto the first two memory slots. this seems ideal, but there is nothing in the manual for the motherboard that says which slots to put the memory in. are they colour coded for a reason?

come to think of it, it seems like i am missing a manual maybe? all i got was an A4 colour sheet which is a quick start guide and 25 pages of quickstart and some bios basics (the rest of the manual is in different languages. please dont tell me its on the cd-rom? :shake: ill have a look round these forums.

spent many an afternoon queueing at scan!

good luck with yours and thanks for the help, hopefully i will have it done by this time tomorrow. :)

well deserved champions too! bah humbug
HeHe :D

Proper Manual LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

Colours = Memory Dual Channel pairs Yellow 1 & 3 = 1st pair Orange 2 & 4 = 2nd pair.

However whilst the different bios options support different brand memory this is often done via the memory slots. Orange slots being optimised for TCCD Yellow for the higher volting UTT/VX etc.,

spent many an afternoon queueing at scan!
lol yep

luck see how we got on tommorow :D

Just ordered my G.Skill also the other day sicne I've been having issues with my Ballistix.

So far the limited number of people I've seen with them, they've enjoyed them quiet a bit and they seem to OC very well. Be nice if I got some of the same results that tech did over at XS running 285 on 2.6V :)