Sign in to follow this  
CyberFlas

Is SLI worth it? Should I get a SLI or Ultra motherboard...

Hey guys,

I am building a new system over the holidays and I need help selecting a motherboard. I am going to buy a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ and I need to know which motherboard to match with it. I am choosing between the DFI NF4 SLI Infinity or the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D. I was nearly certain that I would get the DFI NF4 SLI Infinity until I read a few horror stories on various forums about SLI. I read that there is alot of visual tearing and that many people are having trouble getting SLI to run at all (even a few people on this forum with the NF3 SLI INFINITY). I have even read that people have sold their SLI systems because they were so useless (or the very least are only running one card). If you guys could shed some light on the problems with SLI and how significant they are (and if they are being fixed) that would be great.

I am planning to do some tweaking with this system (nothing that either board can't handle) and I am still planning to run SLI unless there are serious issues with it. Since the two motherboards I am choosing between both offer X2 support and are in the same price range, please help me choose which would be a good choice for me.

In answer to your question, "is sli worth it?" - let me post some screenshots of two new personal records I set tonight. Check out the attachments. Of course, the only one I pay any attention to is the aquamark score.

You can decide on whether it is worth it - but for the record - I'm a big fan of Call of Duty 2 and I can't even imagine playing it without SLI.

- Marco

Even if you only plan getting on graphics card, its probably still best to get the sli version,,,as it always gives you the option to go sli. get a 7800gtx now and run it just by itself and then this tiime next year, get a second 7800gtx when theyl be about half the price they are atm. and hopefully if you do it that way,,,by this time next year sli wont be such a young technology and should probably work better,,,(new drivers, updated bios etc)

Thanks for the info guys, but I have a few more questions. First, did setting up SLI give you any problems and do you have any tearing issues? Second, is the new 6800GS supported to run SLI? Third, how does the ATI Crossfire compare to SLI (is it better?). Thanks.

I have a 6600GT SLI rig and there are no "tearing issues" that I am aware of, at least in the games I play.

The 6800GS "should" do SLI, at least it has the connectors on the top of the card.

I had to remove all my nF/nV drivers and reinstall before SLI worked properly. Not a big deal since a new version showed up right after I bought my second card.

I don't use ATI cards so I can't comment about those.

I always hear about people experiencing "tearing" but I never have a problem with. I think the key is to run your monitor at a high enough refresh (100 hz for me).

As for issues - nope - I changed the jumpers on my DFI, updated to the latest nvidia drivers and tada. Worked.

- Marco

IMO, not worth it. Each generation card that comes out is almost as good as 2 times the previous in SLI. Now if, many new games were coming out, requiring more, and there hasn't been any new video cards out for a year (this won't happen), then it would be worth it to buy another card and go SLI. Many have had problems playing games a few years old, so when they want to play these, they must disable SLI and run 1 card anyway.

You could benefit alot from having 2GB of system memory (with newer games). I suggest buying the best single card you can afford and trying it out.

You really only see a difference with SLI, when running at resolutions higher than 1024x768, all options cranked, with AA & AF turned up. Do you play this way? We all want all options cranked and maybe some AA & AF, but very few play higher than 1024x768, simply because it makes the text too small to read. Also, the human eye can't tell a difference above about 75fps, so if you can achieve this (on average), there's nothing more to gain, except for a worthless benchmark screenshot, of course.

Sign in to follow this