no dual channel

I've tried everything and still I can't get my 2 sticks of bh-5 to work together. I never reached the bios once in dual channel but each stick works fine on its own.

I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING to get em working...

Could this be the cpu? Or more likely the mb?

It would help if you listed your bios version being used. 5/10 and up is required to support your CPU, and may even help you use either the orange and yellow slots. Since you are running dual channel, pop them into the orange slots only, and see what happens.

I tried everything a few months ago...I just came back to the forum now to see if any others had the same problem and managed to overcome it.

I cleared CMOS, orange slots, yellow slots, more voltage, less voltage, default timings, tight timings, loose timings, all 4 power connectors, official bios 510 and after, beta bios, oskar wu bios, bh-5 prefered bios...

Each stick of ram works fine on it's own. i have memtested them for an hour or so with no problems. They also show the same timings in bios.

I have 2 sets: 2 * 512mb twinmos speed premium pc3500 bh-5 and 2 * 256mb kingston hyperx 3000 bh-5. all of them work fine on their own.

I have been trying to get 2 identical sticks to run together....not all 4. completely without any success. Doesn't even post.

Is the problem the mb, the cpu or the ram? Or 2 or more of those variables? who knows....

Buddy,

Don't make the same mistake I did - literally put 40 hours of time into trying the same thing over and over again. If you're even marginally knowledgable about computers and have tried all "the fixes" don't run on "hope" just so you can be let down over and over again.

The Mobo or RAM is bad almost 90% of the time when "strange" stuff like this happens. Figure out which one or if you have the funds - buy both. If I was a betting man - I'd say it's the mobo. Even one little scratch near any of those "etched lines" running around the CPU and DIMM slots can create hell.

Of course, some will say I'm on cloud 9 - but if you aren't a kid who lives with his mom and has all the time in the world you'll thank me later.

Bottom line - if the RAM works on other machines and it works with one DIMM in but not with both and you've cleared The BIOS and followed the standard advice on the forums the evidence would suggest what??? Your board is hosed.

Hope this helps you from losing hair.

- Marco

I had the same problem with an Opteron 144.... but my 3500 Claw core runs in dual channel fine. I have sent the cpu to a friend for him to test since he has about 3 Optron that run fine on his system. It if it works on his box I might be this early revsion bord I have, but, as I understand it, the only difference with it and the others was a bios flash.

I've tried everything and still I can't get my 2 sticks of bh-5 to work together. I never reached the bios once in dual channel but each stick works fine on its own.

I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING to get em working...

Could this be the cpu? Or more likely the mb?

Try flashing to a supported bios like the 623-3 and that will most lickly correct your problem.

Try flashing to a supported bios like the 623-3 and that will most lickly correct your problem.

I think that was the last one I flashed to. It's been a while...

Well I guess it's some kind of hardware fault. I was thinking to invest in an ABIT board just to suss out if it's the cpu or not. Then i can RMA the new board if it's still not working and...buy a new X2 or something.

Actually if the cpu is dodgy I should get a refund or replacement on it I guess.

How to prove that though???

Buddy,

Don't make the same mistake I did - literally put 40 hours of time into trying the same thing over and over again. If you're even marginally knowledgable about computers and have tried all "the fixes" don't run on "hope" just so you can be let down over and over again.

The Mobo or RAM is bad almost 90% of the time when "strange" stuff like this happens. Figure out which one or if you have the funds - buy both. If I was a betting man - I'd say it's the mobo. Even one little scratch near any of those "etched lines" running around the CPU and DIMM slots can create hell.

Of course, some will say I'm on cloud 9 - but if you aren't a kid who lives with his mom and has all the time in the world you'll thank me later.

Bottom line - if the RAM works on other machines and it works with one DIMM in but not with both and you've cleared The BIOS and followed the standard advice on the forums the evidence would suggest what??? Your board is hosed.

Hope this helps you from losing hair.

- Marco

I did follow all the standard advice. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I'm wasting my time. Although maybe there is some small little thing that might make this thing work it's just not worth the hassle trying to figure the hell out what it is. I have a pretty standard set up here and it aint working as it should.

Unfortunately I have no friend here with a pc I can just plonk the cpu into. Building pcs just aint a popular pastime round these parts...

i'll get a new mobo...maybe an ABIT AN8 Ultra to see if it's the cpu or not...