Sign in to follow this  
gplracer

Which DFI board should I get?

I just built two systems for people with DFI UT N4 boards. I think my Ultra Infinity with its moble barton may be on the way out. It has run well for 1.5 years but now I am getting an occasional lock up. I do not think it is Windows because I recently did a reinstall. I think running at 2500mhz and 250fsb have finally worn it down. I have an Opteron on the way. For me the best motherboard choices are:

UT nF4 Ultra D

nF4 SLI-DR

nF4 SLI-DR Expert

I know what SLI is. Is there any other difference between the first two boards besides SLI? It is my limited understanding that the Expert adds a few new features like better ram compatability. What are the other things? Thanks!!

I used this to compare:

Newegg comparison link

If you only plan on using a single GPU, then the Ultra-D is fine, on the SLi boards you get 8 SATA ports, not sure of any other differences other than price.

Ballistix seems rather up and down everywhere across the net. But there are few companies with as good rma service as Crucial has is my understanding. Well Ocz is as good service wise it is said.

The real problem lies in what you want to do. 1.5 years out of an UI board and Barton is a good deal for sure. But do you plan to go that long with the next board as well? Do you plan to run the Opteron at 10x275Mhz and do you want 2 gigs of ram from the get go? Those really are the important questions to be answered.

Fifty or sixty dollars over the life of a board is really nothing when you are talking 1.5 years of use. I like the NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT board that I just put into service last night with a 146Opteron and am priming 300x10 right now with OCZ PC4800 Memory. About as painless a setup as I have done in months. There is one thing to understand though when I make statements like easiest setup in months; I know what I am doing and I am using known good parts and known to be compatible parts. The only oddity I threw into the equation was a Sunbeam 550watt power supply that is modular. I had to test it and see how it works and so far it is spot on on this board. But the opteron I knew worked as well as the memory and video card and raptors. If the power supply had been the least dodgey> it would have given way to my known good PC&PowerCooling 510SLI supply that never misses a beat.

But it is the combination that counts to produce the whole of the configuration. If you need 2 gigs from the outset you are better off to look at the OCZ stuff in the premium 2gig set range as it works. It just works. If a stick fails they are on the spot to give a hand. Known stuff not some off beat path to who knows where is my choice always. Look in the sigs and see what is working. But I only hopped in to say that personally, I am well impressed with the EXPERT I put to work just last night.

RGone...

Thanks! While we are at it. What is the best ram to get? I thought it was Crucial Ballistix but now I have doubts.

Thanks Rgone! It is good to see you. I remember you from the PC Perpsective boards. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things. I have built 92 computers in the last four years but those are not overclocked computers. I know how important it is to buy the right parts with the best compatability to have the greatest CHANCE of overclocking the the maximum the all the parts. I know the DFI boards are great but they are also picky about ram. I just want to make sure that I pick the parts to give me the least amount of problems.

I do not know if I will wait that long to upgrade again or not. I usually do not wait this long. Also I probably will go with a gig of ram for now. Would you get a one gig stick?

Do I need special ram for the expert board? I thought I saw someone post that.

Thanks again!!!

Sign in to follow this